Part time work and benefits

(23 Posts)
footflapper Thu 05-Jun-14 18:32:56

Hi, i'm looking to start a new job asap, 7.5 hours a week. I'm currently receiving Child Tax Credit and Income Support.
I'm wondering how my benefits will be affected? Will I have to make a new claim? I realise the benefits I am receiving will be reduced, I'm just concerned they will be stopped & i'll have to wait for a long time to receive the amended amount... Really don't fancy having to use a foodbank to feed my 4yo! My new job will paid 4 weekly (but the way it falls if/when I start i'll have a possible 6 week wait)
Thanks!

Smilesandpiles Thu 05-Jun-14 18:51:28

Depending on what you'll be earning a week. Your benefit (IS) will be reduced accordingly. Over £106 (or something like that) a week and that's when they will become affected, but in theory, you won't be worse off.

Your child tax credit will stay the same, however, you may be able to put a claim in for Working tax credits now as well which should help.

I think there is something where they can bridge the gap between you notifying them and your fist wage packet.

The best thing really is to call them (a few times as you may get different answers!) or call CAB. If anyone will know it's them.

footflapper Thu 05-Jun-14 18:57:57

Thanks for your reply smile
I'm worrying myself sick over it! Just want someone who's already experienced this to tell me what goes on. I'm pretty sure that you don't get any help financially in the first month, it was scrapped last Sept.
I'll phone the C.A.B tomorrow.

footflapper Thu 05-Jun-14 20:10:04

Googles no help!

gamerchick Thu 05-Jun-14 20:17:03

Ring them up and they'll stop your claim.. you'll have to provide 2 payslips to prove your income before they'll start it again. You're allowed to earn 15 (or it was) quid a week and they'll take the rest from your IS pound for pound after that. Hb will be interrupted but reinstated.. just keep them in the loop. Your TC will be uninterrupted.

gamerchick Thu 05-Jun-14 20:18:56

Course my info may not be up to date. It's been a while since I was on IS.

bloodyteenagers Thu 05-Jun-14 20:40:28

You wont get wtc because u are less than 16 hours.
Child tax and benefit will remain unchanged.
IS you get a written letter from employer to say u wil be work x hours, getting x and starting on x date.
You make 2 copies of this letter. One you hand in when u make an appointment at job centre and get a recipt from the person u see.
The second, u walk into the housing benefit office and fill in a change of circumstance form. You also hand over the letter from work and ask for a recipt the mentions the form and letter.
Don't do any of this by post. Get receipts. This is ur only proof

chocolateWaffles Thu 05-Jun-14 21:23:46

Sorry for the thread hijack, but how does this work as bank staff?
Planning to go back soon but could be doing 0 hours one week then 30 another week with no idea what the average will be beforehand

footflapper Thu 05-Jun-14 22:45:45

Thankyou very much!!! :-) At least my ctc won't stop, we won't starve :-)

bloodyteenagers Fri 06-Jun-14 00:29:57

When I was doing bank, I had to keep letting is and hb know and they would adjust. Until my hours where stable i never claimed wtc because I couldn't be bothered

IneedAwittierNickname Fri 06-Jun-14 10:58:34

I'll working as bank staff. I've been told that aslong as I average less than 16 hrs per week noting is affected. (i don't get is or jsa). So I worked 18 hrs last week, 13 this week and 0 next week. I've been told that's fine.

YoureBeingASillyBilly Fri 06-Jun-14 11:03:37

Hi- i worked 7 hours a week last year and my income support disregarded the first £20 that i earned and then deducted the rest o what i earned from my income support. Child tax credits stayed the same so i was £20 per week better off except i had petrol costs so not as much as £20 better off but definitely not worse off. You have to work 16 hours per week to leave income support and go on working tax credits.

Ihavemyownname Fri 06-Jun-14 11:04:27

You get to keep the first £20 you earn an then anything else deducted from your is

NatalieMc82 Fri 06-Jun-14 16:17:16

Your CTC shouldn't change on so few hours, but do make sure you notify them of the change as you can get in trouble for not! (definitely worth the phonecall now to avoid a lot of hassle later.) And well done on the new job!

WanderingAway Wed 11-Jun-14 23:58:32

Im not sure about income support but with JSA you only get to keep the first 20 pounds if your wage is lower than the amount that you would get in jsa.
EG if jsa is 70 a week & you earn 100 a week you get no jsa at all.

Letitgoletitgo Thu 12-Jun-14 15:59:59

Just to save you hanging on hold on the phone, the ctc office don't seem to want to know until you've actually started the work. I'm returning to work in sept (teacher) so have job, salary details, etc etc, but get just want me to call back in sept when I've started already.

footflapper Thu 12-Jun-14 18:21:14

It's turned out much better than I expected! I've been to see my lone parent advisor today, & none of my benefits will be stopped. They re-adjust them when they receive my wage slips. So pleased grin

gamerchick Thu 12-Jun-14 18:55:25

Fingers crossed.

footflapper Mon 23-Jun-14 15:20:38

I S paid today, no probs smile
I've got a possible chance of 10+ hours starting in Sept. Wondering how long a claim for Working Tax Credit takes?

WanderingAway Wed 25-Jun-14 00:13:19

I wouldn't apply for wtc until u have a steady 16+ hour a week job as u might find that u are overpaid this year & will need to repay it next year. It is too much hassle.

Meglet Fri 27-Jun-14 07:25:45

Glad it's all gone smoothly for you.

I don't think WTC kicks in until 16hrs though?

ICanHearYou Fri 27-Jun-14 07:29:37

B

ICanHearYou Fri 27-Jun-14 07:35:16

If you are bank staff you need to ensure you are getting 16hrs a week on average, so if one week you do 25 hours and the next week you do 12, then you are fine. Working Tax Credit are only going to make a noise if you work less HOURS than you said you were going to work at the end of the year. Unless you earn £2500 more than you have estimated (or less) you won't have any overpayment.

I couldn't survive without my WTC and I do wish people would stop saying 'don't bother claiming it if your on bank' on this forum because it is terrible advice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now