Anyones else frustrated by all the bureaucracy

(30 Posts)
Alligatorpie Sat 27-Apr-13 16:17:30

I live in N Africa, where getting anything done is a major challenge.
To join our local club so we have access to the swimming pool, my husband had to make four trips to city hall - one with our landlord, one with the owner of the school we work in, then I had to make three trips to the club, filling out various forms, meting various managers, photocopying visas, passports and residency cards. The last time I went to the office, I was told as a foreigner I had to pay in USD, not the local currency...more meeting with various managers, me losing my temper and finally four hours later, I get my card. This was to renew a membership. It's like the computers are decorative, everything is handwritten and kept in individual files. It drives me up the wall!

And breathe....Anyone else feel like they live on another planet sometimes?

twilight3 Sun 28-Apr-13 09:53:49

LOL, I was, it was terribly worrying, I thought my boy was very ill and they were not telling me until they were certain, I thought the worst sad

that's how everyone passed driving tests - yikes!)

Makes you feel safe driving around, doesn't it grin

Alligatorpie Sun 28-Apr-13 10:30:32

I had to laugh at your hospital story twilight. I would have been there indefinitely too! Turkey sounds a lot like Egypt!

Most people here don't bother getting a drivers licence. Even the foreigners.

Umlauf Sun 28-Apr-13 10:39:46

I thought we had it bad here in Spain, reading your posts has made me feel a lot better!

Just recently, after 4 months of pregnancy, I've been told that actually I can't have a medical card without a NI card (I have an NI piece of paper but it needs to be a card). Problem is only non EU members get the card, EU people just get the paper. But I can't have the baby without having the card, apparently.

Do they think its just going to stay nicely in my womb forever?!?!

Alligatorpie Sun 28-Apr-13 12:31:18

Umlaf- that is the kind of logic that makes me mental! Hope you get it sorted out.

In Egypt, you have to give your child their father's name as a middle name. I know several expats who have had their babies here and have had real problems registering the child's birth with their chosen name - not the dad's name. Luckily, it is not too much hassle to get a british birth certificate but the egyptian one will always have the wrong name on it.

Liara Mon 29-Apr-13 22:24:13

Tanterose, I have lived in Japan and found it byzantine! OK, it was a fair while ago now (almost 20 years), but simple things like getting a phone line were major operations, and the bank account was just bizarre.

Not to mention the tenancy agreement, or any of the other little everyday contracts.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now