Weird things I miss about living in in the UK

(55 Posts)
Internationaltraveller Sat 09-Mar-13 14:21:09

Okay, the following strange things I miss about living in London

1. People know how to queue
2. On any given day I could get a cappucino in less than 10 minutes from Eat/Pret/Starbucks etc.

I do like living where I am living but sometimes its just SLOW and everyone randomly gets on the bus, there is no queueing for it.

Anyone got anything to add?

Oh, and being that close to mainland Europe. My siblings leave their children with our parents and take occasional long weekend breaks in Paris or Prague or Rome. Being an expat means our chances of even a visit to Toronto would involve taking two small children. Not romantic! grin

ooh yes, pork pies, preferably with egg.
pub gardens next to a river
strawberry laces
thorntons
being able to go to Normandy/Paris for the weekend

riverboat Wed 27-Mar-13 20:05:13

I never liked pork pies. Something about the jelly bit...

However, I do miss cornish pasties and sausage rolls. I don't think I actually ate very many of either when I lived in the UK, but now every time I go back I find myself irresistably drawn to Greggs and those greasy pastry delights...

In Paris we may have some of the best sugary pastry delights in the whole word, but their savoury bakes really aren't up to scratch. Can't get a decent sausage roll for love nor money, and I've never even seen anything remotely approaching the wonders of a pasty in any of the hundreds of bakery's I've been to...

riverboat Wed 27-Mar-13 20:06:01

Urgh, baker ie s. Please excuse my grammar.

WallyBantersJunkBox Wed 27-Mar-13 20:38:07

I hated pork pies when I left. Then I went home for a training course and for the lunch buffet they were serving the little M&S ones with pickle on the top.

Goodness me I destroyed them, much to the amusement of my German colleagues.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now