WHERE'S BEST TO LIVE IN NZ ETC :PART 6!!!

(1000 Posts)
AngryBeaver Mon 18-Feb-13 18:23:37

Wow! Part 6...got to be a record.

MN Towers, where's our prize?!

WhatSheSaid Wed 20-Feb-13 18:24:07

frik if you're rushing out to buy fridges etc, check the Salefinder website, one of the big stores always seems to have a sale on big ticket items

justaboutchilledout Wed 20-Feb-13 18:54:31

And negotiate on the price, especially if you are buying in bulk: it is expected.

frikonastick Wed 20-Feb-13 19:26:04

Thanks for the tip guys

And justa, come on over! Not that we have any furniture......... Um actually as I am typing that I am thinking, bloody hell, we don't actually have any furniture!! Lol, I guess DH is going to get his shopping spree at the camping store after all grin

Sibble Thu 21-Feb-13 00:12:53

The Good Guys is also good for electrical goods. Be prepared to barter and don't be put off by the cash only signs. I paid for my fridge freezer, oven and dishwasher on credit card and paid a substantial amount less than any other quotes I'd had.

theartfulsoapdodger Thu 21-Feb-13 05:24:46

Thanks vvviola. They seem ok on the powdered stuff so I'll just have to be more organized about making it...sorry to hear about your DDs allergies, what a pain.

Congrats on the house Frik! We managed without much furniture for several months, although we did buy new beds here. Moving in sooner will be good if hectic; we arrived on a Tuesday and moved in Saturday, had been dreading weeks in a motel!

vvviola Fri 22-Feb-13 08:06:01

I tell you, there are days where I wouldn't live anywhere else....

Gorgeous weather, DH finished up work early, took us all down for a picnic (well, we brought burgers and buns and salad, and picked up some take away chips) at Long Bay, then down to the water where the girls splashed around like loons.

I'll never get all the sand out of the car and the bathroom grin

(Less fun, was DH having to fish a toddler out from under the water. Little guy was knocked over by a wave just as his Mum had looked away, luckily DH spotted him.)

AngryBeaver Fri 22-Feb-13 10:35:32

vvv, just beautiful, isn't it?

Yesterday a friend was called into the dr's to be told her dd, had a"long road ahead of her" Things are not right.
I saw my friend in town today adn she looked shattered.

Makes you grateful for what you have.

What money can't buy.

AngryBeaver Fri 22-Feb-13 10:47:24

Fuck, sorry, maudlin. Blame the wine.
What do you think of this

http://www.trademe.co.nz/property/residential-property-to-rent/auction-562486383.htm

It says 2 bedrooms, but I count 4?
I would feel uncomfortable though, I much prefer rustic to modern.

Still, we are having no luck finding anywhere and move in 4 weeks. STRESS

AngryBeaver Fri 22-Feb-13 10:48:04
vvviola Fri 22-Feb-13 11:44:31

Ooh, AB, that's a very swish looking place. Yes, I count 4 bedrooms too. Although I think the estate agent said to us when we were looking that it could only be advertised as a bedroom if it had a wardrobe??? Might explain the discrepancy?

Is there the potential to stay somewhere else (I.e. off Waiheke) temporarily if you don't find somewhere in time.?

vvviola Fri 22-Feb-13 11:55:18

(Yet another random question from me)

Do you guys leave fans on overnight?

It's really stuffy in DD2's room and the fan also seems to be helping with white noise.

I've been turning off the fan when I go to bed because I hate leaving electrical stuff on overnight. But the room is so hot, and se invariably wakes within 2 minutes of turning it off What would you guys do?

AngryBeaver Fri 22-Feb-13 21:18:44

Dh thinks there is no way that place is $500 a week, he is probably right!
No we need to be on Waiheke,the kids are enroled at the primary now and are due to start!

Yes, we leave fans on in every room, unbearable without, I check on threm several times a night

justaboutchilledout Sat 23-Feb-13 04:55:21

We don't use fans, children seem to sleep fine anyway. BUT winter or summer, DS3 needs a dehumidifier on in his room all night. It's the white noise, and he wakes if we turn it off. i hate the waste of electricity of using it in summer, but he is just unable to settle without it. So I would think your guess is the right one, and I'd leave well alone if it means that madam is staying asleep!

thelittlestkiwi Sat 23-Feb-13 06:12:09

Those look like marketing photo's AB. My general rule was that a house would rent for 1/1000th of it's market value. So one of our rentals was $850,000 to buy and we paid $850 a week to rent it.

Have to say, I'm feeling a lot better about our food bills since the horse crisis in the UK......

lollystix Sat 23-Feb-13 10:17:02

Wow littlest - ours is 0.5/1000th - reflects that it's a tad 'rustic'. But I do have lovely landlords who cut the grass and let me get 2 new fluffy baby boys today.

kiwidreamer Sat 23-Feb-13 16:16:27

We've had great success with White Noise apps, free from iTunes not sure about android apps tho. DD loved the oscillating fan white noise when she was unsettled, def saves on the electricity but obv useless if you need cool air... we leave the fan on with a timer to the wee hours (on the 3 nights a year its too hot to sleep)

justaboutchilledout Sat 23-Feb-13 18:33:54

Ha yes re food bills, DH said the same last night!

frikonastick Sat 23-Feb-13 20:00:20

AB that house looks beautiful, but I agree with thelittlestkiwi, I think those are marketing photos and maybe the house is on at $500 a week because they may kick you out as soon as they have a buyer. The one house we looked at renting that was by far the nicest presented and we thought very good for the rent, when we asked (information not volunteered!!!) it was indeed on the market.

I still ant quite believe we really live here, so far it's been picnics and beach days and fishing trips and soccer matches and BBQs we are just having the most wonderful time :-) honestly guys, I was SO STRESSED before we actually came over and what a waste of emotion that was! Lol

And this morning, again, beautiful day! Even if I do have to go do a load of laundry grin

xMinerva Sat 23-Feb-13 20:07:07

Congrats on the house frik how exciting. It is rather lovely too, and great location it seems.

Hope dd2 is better now vvv ds2's hideous bum rash came back so we've cut out dairy again and it's cleared up. Going to introduce it again slowly and see if it was coincidence or not. Hope it was.

We're doing much better with our food bills now. Menu planning is fab. $130-$150per week now with about $50ish for milk/bread top ups. Much better than the $4/500 per week we were paying before. All the horse jokes on FB have been cracking me up.

We have built in fans but don't think I'd worry about a plug in one being on all night with a few checks.

thelittlestkiwi Sat 23-Feb-13 20:32:21

Ha ha Lolly. If only all of ours had been nice! Tbh, it is entirely my own made up rule. I think agents price on number of bedrooms. Yours may be odd cos it's on a lot of land?

We leave fans on overnight. Also our cheap warehouse rads in winter which are probably a bigger hazard.

frikonastick Sat 23-Feb-13 22:10:37

Xminerva, could you possibly share your menus plans? I used to do it in the ME but I don't know brands and things here so a start off point would be great. But only if you don't mind.

Yes! Spent the day at the house yesterday, we haven't moved in yet as all the appliances and DDs bed only get delivered on Monday, and we totally love it. You were all right and I don't even notice the woodiness already grin

Oh my gosh, I can't believe we live in New Zealand, in a house by the beach!!! Surely that's just too much good fortune for one family. Today is laundry and packing day, and also shopping for bins (OMG with the recycling, we haven't ever done it before) and bed linen and a kettle! I just realized we don't have a kettle! <adds to list>

justaboutchilledout Sat 23-Feb-13 22:35:12

That's great xMinerva, well done. We do $300 a fortnight which feels as cheap as I am comfortable with
except that I keep raiding it for Sunday school money and cups of coffee out - it has to cover for the children's icecreams, odd chips from Mcdonalds, pizza etc as well. When we are seriously skint I can get it down to $150-80 a fortnight but then it is hard work and there are NO treats.

justaboutchilledout Sat 23-Feb-13 22:37:47

frik - don't buy electrical goods from the Warehouse. Even if they are cheap.
<bitter experience>

frikonastick Sat 23-Feb-13 23:00:11

Ahem <sidles up> justa, I don't suppose you have any meal plans do you?

frikonastick Sat 23-Feb-13 23:00:56

Oh! Well, DH is just there getting a kettle I think, will I call him and tell him not to?

This thread is not accepting new messages.