Traveling with dual national (US-UK) baby to UK - can I do this with just US passport?

(52 Posts)
AlohaMama Fri 11-Jan-13 00:26:35

Hard to summarise this one in the subject but here is the deal. I live in the US. I'm expecting a baby in June who will be a dual national (British parents, born in the US). We will get the baby a US and a UK passport but both need the birth certificate to be sent off with the application, and both take 4-6 weeks, and we'd like to visit the UK ~8 weeks after baby is born so I don't think we'll have time to get both passports before the trip. I know the US demands every US citizen enters and leaves the US using a US passport, so I was planning on applying for that one and taking baby to the UK using their US passport. Does anyone know if that will cause problems for entering the UK? I'm assuming we'd just enter the foreign nationals queue at immigration and would have to get a visa stamp in baby's passport. We're only going on a holiday (2-3 weeks) so the length of stay isn't an issue.

natation Wed 23-Jan-13 22:06:20

I think you might find you will have to provide proof of your current nationality too, that will be a document. The adoption certificate does not prove your nationality, only identity.

natation Wed 23-Jan-13 22:15:55

ok anyone born in the UK before 1983 or adopted before 1983, they are all automatically British citizens, to prove it the identity of parents will be verified and that is documentation that someone working as an entry officer at the border could not do, it takes time research the registers of births/deaths/marriages - the death registry will be checked, IPS do research into that to check the holder of the birth certificate is stil living. You will also need to provide photos. On the border, you really cannot hand in a UK birth certificate pre-dating 1983 and expect that is sufficient for entry to the UK.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now