Moving to Perth WA - any mumsnetters already there?

(65 Posts)
XBenedict Sun 16-Dec-12 12:55:32

We have applied to move to Perth probably just south of the city but we're waiting for the firm job offer. We have visited before for a holiday but just wondering if you had any advice ref schooling private v public? Any other tips would be greatly received smile

I forgot to answer your OP about schools - our DC are in the local state primary, and it's fine. They are on waiting list at an fairly inexpensive private school, and likely to move there next year.

oldnewmummy Wed 13-Feb-13 09:41:40

We live NOR, near the beach, and love it. Yes, it's quite expensive, but can't easily compare to the UK since I haven't lived there since 1997.

Whoever is moving to Kinross, that's a nice area (several friends there) and Kinross Primary is good.

A lot of it is luck. We've a good group of mates, and that makes a ton of difference.

lisianthus Thu 14-Feb-13 09:29:17

Hi Muttley- pm away! Always happy to chat. There are definitely things you can do to bring costs down, as well.

Oscarandelliesmum- yes, there are second hand furniture shops, from the independent bric a brac type to charity shops, as well as cheap furniture shops like Amart on Scarborough Beach Rd (not settled back in enough yet to know all the names of these shops but that was one mentioned to us). Ikea is more expensive here than it is in the UK- basically, if you are bringing a container anyway, fill it up rather than getting rid of things. Although I'm now trying to get rid of a shedful of things blush.

re cheap supermarkets, it's not quite the same in WA as it is in the UK. There is no real equivalent to Lidl and Aldi. There's two big supermarket chains, Coles and Woolworths. There's also IGA, which is small and naice and not at the cheaper end. However, we go to Spud Shed for vegetables, meat and some other bits and bobs which is very cheap - 10kg potatoes for $3.99 for example. I also go to my local Chinese and Asian "supermarkets" (i.e. they aren't very big) for items such as rice and dal as they are cheaper. Other ways to save (not tried these yet, but know people who do) : get your roadside assistance via RAC (WA) membership and benefits include access to Cash and Carry stores which are like Costco and usually just sell wholesale. Also, you can buy gift cards for Woolworths at 5% discount through them and then pay for your groceries with it, which adds up over a year. You also get other things such as cheap movie tickets. This is starting to sound like an ad, so I'll stop!

Anyway, the point is, there are lots of discounts available which aren't always obvious. You need to look about, talk to people and check websites such as Poms in Perth. There are also cultural differences such as that Australians (well, west Aussies, anyway) tend to entertain at home with barbecues, inviting people around and so on rather than meeting in the pub and tend to cook from scratch more often than is usual in the UK. There's no equivalent of the M&S ready meal. This way of living thus tends to be cheaper. You are also more likely to be able to buy things in bulk at the supermarket because of this. If you take advantage of it, spend $300 or so on a cheap freezer, buy in bulk and cook in advance, it pays off.

And Mosman, really glad to hear things are picking up for you.

I'll be quiet now!

Mosman Thu 14-Feb-13 11:53:34

Aldi is coming to WA (genuinely excited !!!), not that i ever really got on with Aldi in the UK but the competition I believe will drive prices down in the other main supermarkets.
On another note, just as things were picking up it turns out H was having an affair in the UK and she tried to email here, so it's all turned to shit again.

lisianthus Fri 15-Feb-13 23:11:46

Oh hell. You poor thing. That is really rubbish. Am very sorry to hear that.

newbiefrugalgal Sat 16-Feb-13 11:11:09

Oh Mosman, that's crap (talking from one who knows!!)

How are you coping?
Do you have details, is he being honest with you?
What do you thinks going to happen!

Mosman Sat 16-Feb-13 12:00:59

Am drinking heavily - saves on food I guess - I don't know he's begging for forgiveness but is then drip feeding details as he knows he's getting backed into a corner.

newbiefrugalgal Sat 16-Feb-13 12:40:33

God he needs to man up and tell you everything!

I'm sounding stronger than I am, see my other thread on relationships.
sad

Start a new thread in relationships the girls over there are great!
Enjoy the drink, will have one for you tonight! Only lunchtime here so a bit early for me to start.

Got a cranky toddler, but yes, I live in Armadale.

Hmm, just to counter what some say about expense and 200 k not being much. DP and I earn 65kpa, own our own house on a decent block, admittedly not in a smart, shiny suburb but we're by no means broke. $120 a week for groceries, including nice meat and the like.
Petrol is shock though.

Oscarandelliesmum Sat 16-Feb-13 17:32:38

Lisanthus, thanka so much for such a helpful post. Am only just getting the hang of Also myself!
Mosman. I am so sorry, I hope things turn a corner for you soon. smile

Mosman Sat 16-Feb-13 19:44:22

WankbadgersBreakfast - timing is everything though isn't it, when you bought your house makes the world of difference.

lisianthus Sun 17-Feb-13 04:32:29

No worries Oscar. Happy to help.

Mosman, bought September last year smile. Was a 21st birthday present to myself, in a way.
BTW, saw you're trying to get a place at SMAGS- I went there as a boarder, bloody loved it!
We put our DD's name down for John Wollaston, last week. Only 10 years early but at least it's done now.

Mosman Mon 18-Feb-13 00:57:22

Lol well you have to start early in perth and it seems you've certainly done that lol
Good for you though much more organised than I was at that age.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now