WHERE'S BEST TO LIVE IN NZ AND WHAT DO WE NEED TO KNOW: PART 5!

(1000 Posts)
AngryBeaver Tue 27-Nov-12 09:01:29

Look at us Chatty Cathy's!
Justa oh noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo<breathes>ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
(I'm not sure grin)

justaboutchilledout Tue 05-Feb-13 07:12:17

Oh my goodness yes that is something better not to know. But you can see how it would happen, if she stepped out into the back yard and the door swung shut...
I am just in awe of any nanny managing four kids.

lollystix Tue 05-Feb-13 10:11:20

It's not the 6 yo on his own I worry about. It's the 4 and 2 yo being left alone with light sabres that frightens me

justaboutchilledout Tue 05-Feb-13 19:44:26

Would you not leave them in a room by themselves even for a minute, then? It sounds like that was probably all that happened.

lollystix Wed 06-Feb-13 01:41:58

No - I suppose it's just ds1 can open the door but ds2 and 3 can't so if he wasn't there they would have been inside without her being able to get back in

Sibble Wed 06-Feb-13 03:27:46

In case you don't know we are on tsunami alert following an earthquake in Soloman Islands.

Sibble Wed 06-Feb-13 03:37:41

Oh and the company that made dh redundant has gone into receivership so I guess we can kiss goodbye to the redundancy payment let alone any salary he is owed - have to wait until tomorrow to see if the office is locked up or what is happening - sucks!

thelittlestkiwi Wed 06-Feb-13 03:50:39

Ah Sibble, that totally sucks. How much pay is he owed?

Dh and DD are on Tamaki Drive on a bus atm- despite my warning him about the tsunami which was supposed to arrive at 5pm angry. Luckily they are now saying 7pm. Shame - I was planning a walk after working all bank holiday.

WhatSheSaid Wed 06-Feb-13 04:16:39

Oh that's shit Sibble. I've just seen on the Herald website that a big construction company has gone into receivership - same one, I guess. Starts with M.

Someone I know has a townhouse in Grey Lynn, bought years ago - built by that same company - turns out the whole complex is leaky and is due to be reclad soon. The company were going to be paying some of the costs, apparently, looks like that won't be happening now.

Has your dh had the interview for the other job yet?

AngryBeaver Wed 06-Feb-13 04:56:45

Oh sibble. So srry to hear you're having all this stress. That properly sucks.
Did he have his job interview in Aukland today?

Am shock at Tsunami...

Dh going to Aukland tomorrow for the big interview.

Was at a childs birthday party yesterday, when one lady began to tell me her Waiheke experiences, it began like this "Oh, waiheke is just great,it was HILARIOUS actually, ds needed a POO, so we stopped and as he was having this BIG POO, a load of mozzies attacked and there was I trying to swat them away from his BOTTOM and POO!!"

I was like "I might leave this brownie 'til later!"

Her story ended "It's actually rather shi-shi you know?!"

I had to look up what shi-shi meant blush

frikonastick Wed 06-Feb-13 05:25:32

Shit sibble, that's really bloody awful. What a load of stress that must be for you guys :-(

Tsunami?!!??

WhatSheSaid Wed 06-Feb-13 05:29:20

Frik There won't be a tsunami here, they just put out a warning whenever there's an earthquake in the Pacific (there's been a 8.0 near the Solomon Islands). Of course now I've said that I'll be wrong and my house will shortly be engulfed by a giant wave. According to the Guardian website the warning has been cancelled for NZ and Oz but the Herald is still reporting it as being current.

Sibble Wed 06-Feb-13 05:40:55

There seems to be conflicting info about the tsunami - but consensus is that if you are not in the water you should be OK

Yes, whatshesaid that's the one! We heard early this morning that the Board had resigned yesterday afternoon (bit late....!) then saw on the internet when looking something else up that the receivers had been called in.

He's probably owed only 2 weeks salary and 3 weeks holiday pay however we had factored into our planning/finances 5 weeks money, holiday pay and redundancy which is a huge difference. The prospect of nothing in the short term is not good!

I'm filing an insurance claim (fire at the bach before Christmas that I'd been sitting), sent off some other money requests that I'm owed and thinking what can I put on trade me!!!

Ho hum, could be worse a very good friend of mine is looking at a liver transplant and not very well at all at the moment, at least we have our health (if temporarily not sanity!!!)

Sibble Wed 06-Feb-13 05:46:38

Oh job interview! - yes, it was today and it went well he thinks. Will hear in about 2 weeks whether he is through this stage then there will be another interview at the end of the month with the wider group. Fingers crossed. He's now fielding calls from contractors asking about payment/invoices they have outstanding - the Board etc... F***s up and middle/senior management cop the flack even though they're redundant themselves - sucks sucks sucks.

He's weighing up options and we'll take it from there. At least I have the capacity to increase my hours while he can look after the boys.

frikonastick Wed 06-Feb-13 06:07:56

You are being very level headed about it all sibble, really hope your DH gets the job. Crossing fingers for you :-)

frikonastick Wed 06-Feb-13 06:08:30

Oh and shew! About the tsunami grin

justaboutchilledout Wed 06-Feb-13 08:21:36

Oh goodness Sibble, you are indeed being very sensible.
Would it help if I mentioned that PakNSave seem to be doing some remarkably cheap meat this week (at least in Glenfield)?

AngryBeaver Wed 06-Feb-13 08:39:42

...and more importantly,*sibble*, New World are doing great wine specials wink

lollystix Wed 06-Feb-13 08:46:27

Sibble - DH does recruitment in your husbands sector. If you are interested in staying could u pm me cos can't do it from I phone. Has a colleague your DH could get in touch with.

meerkate Wed 06-Feb-13 09:29:44

Hello all smile Sibble - really keeping my fingers crossed re the Auckland job for your DH! Girls - what do we know about Whakatane? Am I correct in assuming it might be a lovely place for a picnic on the way to somewhere else, but not to LIVE? A job has come up there (rather than in Tauranga, where there is still nothing). We both rather think 'er, no' but I thought I had better check in with you gurus of NZ geography/sociology first! I am quite phobic about small-town NZ and Oz (having made some mistakes in the past in the former!) though, living where I currently do, I can't quite believe I have just had the effrontery to write that grin BTW Sibble - other place we are now looking into is Adelaide! Without much concrete success so far, I hasten to add. X

AngryBeaver Wed 06-Feb-13 09:54:19

meerkate, dh said his kiwi colleague did solemn headsshake at the mention of whakatane!Commute?

meerkate Wed 06-Feb-13 10:14:56

AB - snort!! My suspicions confirmed grin

I, of course, would happily make DH commute an hour each way every day while I partook of the pleasures of Taraunga, but sadly, SELFISHLY even, he doesn't see it that way grin

WhatSheSaid Wed 06-Feb-13 17:48:59

meerkate I went to a wedding once in Whakatane, it seemed like quite a nice little town but yes, definitely a Small Town.

meerkate Wed 06-Feb-13 21:59:48

Say no more, WSS! We are going to continue to wait for the hoped-for opportunity in Auckland or Tauranga smile not that we are fussy/cutting down our options or anything grin

thelittlestkiwi Wed 06-Feb-13 22:19:12

Sibble- fingers crossed for a good opportunity for you all soon.

meerkate - what sector are you looking in? A lot of jobs in NZ are not advertised so it is worth approaching organisations directly.

I know someone who is always looking for GP's for example.

xMinerva Wed 06-Feb-13 23:03:49

Sibble sorry to hear about your news. Fingers crossed for something coming along soon.

AB How are you? Shingles is awful, never had them myself but remember my mum getting them and she was in agony (or milking it, still can't decide grin )

Justa nearly spat coffee on my phone at "I hung them on her hook, Who does that?" Me, I've done it a few times. Lol.

Frik how long now? I made a paper chain when we got down to 14 sleeps to go and every morning, ds1 would break a link of the paper chain to see how many days left until he could see daddy again. When we got down to the last link, I could hardly breath from the excitement.

Lolly Sorry about the house, at least, like you say, it wasn't your dream home so you don't feel like you've missed out on something important. I know the feeling about wanting to stay in the same area. We thought long and hard about where we wanted to be and eventually Browns Bay won. Now we're here, I won't be moving anytime soon. Not sure how long it'll be until we can afford to buy here though sad

How's everyone's schedules looking for next week? Meet up?

This thread is not accepting new messages.