Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional insurance of anyone posting on Mumsnet and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Tax credit and Intrusive Questions about household expenses?!!

(11 Posts)
KENYAH63 Thu 26-Jun-14 12:11:24

I have recently re-newed my yearly declaration and received a letter asking to provide details of Income/Childcare cost/receipts/P60/employment contract etc. However I was surprised that I now have to provide details on my household expenses: Gas and Electric bills, Phone bills/Car Insursance/ Food bills etc.

Has anyone else been asked to provide such detail information? What business is it of H&Mcustoms how much my weekly shopping is or how often I talk on the phone?

Big brother now entering my home it seems?

TalkinPeace Thu 26-Jun-14 15:49:38

They are giving you a handout, they have the right to know whether you actually need it.
If you do not like the questions, do not claim.

KENYAH63 Thu 26-Jun-14 16:27:47

Whilst some people may frown upon the 'handouts' the government provide. I was merely asking question as WHY they need this info. Not all single parents are that by choice. Some of us have lossed a partner though death and may be strugglering now on a single wage through no fault of their own.

I do not view this as handouts as I actually work 35 hours a week!! I only get help with childcare costs and have/can provide full details of such costs in the form of letters and receipts from the registered providers. I find it quite intrusive to then be asked how much my food/Gas/electric/mortage/phone bills are when H&M already know that my income (wages) are from my P60. How I choose to spent my wages is my business. I have already provided them with proof of the 'handouts' that they have given me in the form of childcare credits.

DefiniteMaybe Thu 26-Jun-14 16:30:30

I think that is really intrusive and none of their business.

Dietagainmonday Thu 26-Jun-14 16:37:36

Is this a new thing? Never heard of them asking of anything other than childcare receipts and income.

TalkinPeace Thu 26-Jun-14 16:48:33
LightastheBreeze Thu 26-Jun-14 16:55:28

So that sounds like everyone who claims tax credits must have to keep all their receipts from their food shop and everything now.

TalkinPeace Thu 26-Jun-14 16:57:42

No, that is only if they call your claim in for checking because
(a) you are randomly unlucky
(b) something you have said does not tally with the other records they keep

KENYAH63 Thu 26-Jun-14 18:51:43

I think they may be gathering info in order for the credits to be means tested. I have nothing to hide so I will give them all the info they need. Just think that they are taking things too far in the form of what I choose to do with my wages.No doubt they will soon be telling claimants when they can turn on their heating and what food to buy and setting limits on the number of time I call my mother hmm

greeneggsandjam Fri 27-Jun-14 23:03:35

That sounds really annoying and unnecessary, perhaps you should call and ask then why they need it all?

TalkinPeace Fri 27-Jun-14 23:07:19

KENYA
If you have been picked for checking, the less argumentative you are, the sooner your claim will be sorted out.
The more fights you pick with them the more they will dig into your circumstances and those of everybody else.
tHey have the right under the Tax credits act.
I'm used to dealing with them. Smoothing is always good.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now