Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional insurance of anyone posting on Mumsnet and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

How best to help someone I don't know too well financially?

(3 Posts)
Tryintohelp Wed 05-Feb-14 17:30:25

There's a lovely girl who has been working for us (childcare, ironing etc) for a few months. She doesn't have much money and has a little one. She works really hard and takes pride in what she does. Her car, which she needs to get to work etc, is too old to fix so she's now without a car, which means hardship for her.

I want to help but not sure how, I don't want to hurt her pride or make things awkward. We pay her fairly already of course. Can anyone suggest anything please, with pros and cons?

woodrunner Wed 05-Feb-14 20:45:11

You sound lovely. You could help her budget, and see if she can get a new car on a low monthly rate. You could offer to pass on clothes etc and make sure she knows about freecycle so she can keep other costs down and put some savings aside.

I used to say to people, take this if you'd like it - even if you just want to sell it on e-bay, as I just want to get rid of it.

Not sure what else to suggest. You could ask if she wants you to put in a good word with friends, if she is looking for more work to help pay for a car.

Probably best not to get into a major loan as if it didn't work out due to her having money problems, it could sour what is a good relationship.

One thing you could do is give her an unexpected bonus after six months or a year.

specialsubject Wed 05-Feb-14 21:55:02

you could (if you have the knowledge) help her to look for a cheap car that she can buy outright when she has saved up.

NEVER have car finance unless money is no object.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now