Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional insurance of anyone posting on Mumsnet and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Credit Card

(5 Posts)
Frozennortherner Wed 05-Feb-14 06:30:45

Might seem a silly question but... Do banks happily give you a credit card under the following conditions:

1. I only work p/t and for 24 weeks of the year (last year I earned about £15k) but it's not permanent guarranteed work.

2. I already have a joint Credit Card with dh but I want my own. Any cc bills are settled in full in one go when they arrive on the mat.

3. If it looks like I can, what do the cc companies ask for. Not sure I can provide 3 months statements of earnings as the work is intermittent.

4. Which banks are best re cc cards.

Thanks in advance

Bluecarrot Wed 05-Feb-14 06:36:41

Have you checked your credit score? Its a reasonable indicator. Try noodle AND experian. You used to be able to get cashback for checking experian - I'm on phone do can't check if you still do but check topcashback and sign up for free trial (30 days)

Bluecarrot Wed 05-Feb-14 06:40:18

You won't need statements. At least I haven't had to.

Re best ones, it depends what its for. Will you spend often in it? Or do you need 0% interest for longish term? Do you go abroad often?

I use my tesco cc and collect points. I also have a Halifax clarity that's great for using abroad plus it pays me £5 every month I spend over £300 on it.

poopooheadwillyfatface Wed 05-Feb-14 06:40:49

my bank gave me a credit card when I was a SAHM shock
My 'income' was purely the money transferred each month from DH. I had a fab credit history though and it was my own bank.

Ememem84 Wed 05-Feb-14 06:43:23

HSBC are offering 0% for the first 3 months (I think) for new customers only.
Or they were a couple of weeks ago.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now