Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional insurance of anyone posting on Mumsnet and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

LHA question

(5 Posts)
SweetAngels Tue 11-Feb-14 22:57:08

I live near Edinburgh in Scotland and was in a,similar situation about a year ago. I was told by council that if I got a 1bed I would only be entitled to LHA up to the 1bed allowance.
I hope its different where you are but I was so annoyed bcz like you I felt that a 2bed within the LHA allowance be too grim.

supermandoesnotwearacoat Tue 11-Feb-14 20:59:46

LHA is based on how many rooms you need for your family not the property you are living in. For more info, including bedroom calculator and LHA rates for your area see this website https://lha-direct.voa.gov.uk/search.aspx

WeeKirkie Tue 11-Feb-14 20:12:25

As far as I know housing benefit is paid on a percentage rate of your rent. So if you are in receipt of income support or job seekers it will be 100% if you are working part time they may pay about 70% of your actual rent costs. With private rents it is paid the same although there is a cap to what they will pay for the area. For example they may be willing to pay £300 for a 1 bedroom, £400 for a 2 bedroom etc. You will have to ask what is the max they pay in your area and make sure you do not go over this. If I were you I would go for 2 bedrooms in the nice area being careful not to go over the max the council will pay.

lovingmatleave Sat 08-Feb-14 20:59:27

Sorry don't know but its an interesting question! I work in the housing field (not anything to do with benefits though) and thought I may be able to answer but thinking about it now I really am not sure. I take it the one bed rent is not any higher that the 2 bed rent, it just a nicer flat? You really need to check with your local authority anyway as they will be the ones processing your claim. Let us know how you get on!

maparole Tue 04-Feb-14 23:09:31

I have recently left my husband and am in the process of looking for a private rental for myself and ds. I have realistic plans to be earning before too long, but will need housing benefit for 6-12 months

I am allowed 2 bedrooms for the two of us, but would only be able to get something a bit grim within the LHA. I would prefer to go for a nicer, more spacious one-bed and use the living room for me to sleep in.

If I take this option, would I still get benefit based upon the 2-bed LHA to which I am theoretically entitled, or would I only be able to get the one-bed LHA?

Thanks in advance.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now