Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional insurance of anyone posting on Mumsnet and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Child ISAs

(8 Posts)
SmallBee Tue 04-Feb-14 09:25:32

Hello

We've been given loads of cash for our little DD for Christmas & want to set up a savings account for her. After some advice from a couple of friends in the know they've said child ISAs are the best option. But there are a few out there, please can anyone give any advice on which is the best?

Preciousbane Tue 04-Feb-14 09:49:01

Have a look at rates online to compare.

Read this www.theguardian.com/money/2011/oct/29/junior-isa-tax-free-saving

With a child isa the money cannot be withdrawn till they are 18 and having had a chat recently in my building society as I am getting a mortgage and also changing the way I save I wouldn't get one. They have far better rates but the staff relayed how many children just waste the lot when they get their mitts on the cash at 18.

Personally I would stick it in a long term bond or if you have the balls consider a tracker isa in your name. Bearing in mind you can lose as well as win and it is very long term.

This is purely my opinion, there are mnetters that are financial advisers or have hard core experience. I am purely someone that has fiddled in an amateur way with savings and investments since I was a kid and has done okay.

Hopefully a financial expert will come along.

ReallyTired Tue 04-Feb-14 10:01:54

The Hallifax junior isa offers a good deal at the moment if you want something low risk.

www.halifax.co.uk/isas/cash-isas/junior-cash-isa/

Or if you prefer you can gamble with the stock market with a stocks and shares isa. I never done well with shares, but some people certainly do. I think you have to have a truely substantial sum to do well with stocks and shares as otherwise any growth gets eaten up with management costs.

"They have far better rates but the staff relayed how many children just waste the lot when they get their mitts on the cash at 18. "

I suppose that at some point you have to accept that your child is an adult and its their money. I can't imagine ds frittering his money way as he is so cautious, but its too early to tell with dd.

CogitoErgoSometimes Tue 04-Feb-14 11:33:52

I've put DS's money in a variety of places. Some is invested in a stocks and shares Junior ISA, some in a bond and some in a unit trust from the days before Junior ISAs or Child Trust Funds.

I think there is a lot of scare-mongering about how 18 year-olds are going to blow all their money the day after their birthday. A few will be idiots, no doubt, but you've got a whole 18 years to talk to your kids about finances and influence their choices. Otherwise how would it work? Them keeping on coming back to the Bank of Mum & Dad cap in hand? Never assuming responsibility for their own money?

Spindelina Tue 04-Feb-14 11:56:35

When I was 18 I bought a house.

SmallBee Tue 04-Feb-14 17:52:18

oh brilliant! Thank you loads for the advice. thanksWill do some reading up.

Smalltoothbrush Tue 04-Feb-14 19:10:45

If your child is running wild at 18, you can always not tell them about the money. Ok you won't be able to do anything with it but it can sit there until they become a bit more sensible.

HelenHen Tue 04-Feb-14 21:09:11

I blew cash given to me for my 18th. I enjoyed every penny... But, for that reason, and cos we can't predict how sensible our kids will be, I'd prefer to keep control of it until I decide they're mature enough and maybe give them a percentage of it for their 18th And see how they get on. Halifax have a 1 year 6% thing which is the best at the mo but you can only put in £100 a month. I think the best thing to do is find deals like that and shop around every year of so. If you leave it in a long term one and don't do any work on it, returns will be minimal. Www.moneysavingexpert.com is wonderful for advice on stuff like this!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now