Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional insurance of anyone posting on Mumsnet and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

energy use - what's normal?

(4 Posts)
principalitygirl Tue 12-Nov-13 22:51:49

we get both gas and elec from British Gas. not sure what tariff exactly. anyway, when we switched to them they sent us a plug in energy monitor gizmo. we were averaging £1 ish every day (24 hour period) and that's crept up to £1.30 ish as the weather's got colder and / or I've been at home more during the day. we usually do one load of laundry a day and run the dishwasher once. other than that it's the usual hot water, heating and lighting needs of a couple with a toddler. we have double glazing and cavity wall insulation and some loft insulation. does that daily cost seem about right or excessive? thx!

CogitoErgoSometimes Wed 13-Nov-13 09:30:57

£1 - 1.30 per day ... £400-450-ish/year for electricity sounds pretty reasonable to me. A lot depends on how big/old your house is

SnakeyMcBadass Wed 13-Nov-13 09:36:31

Sounds about right to me. We use anything from 70p to £2 a day, depending on washing machine/dishwasher/dryer use. We're in a new build detached four bed, so the insulation an glazing is very good.

specialsubject Wed 13-Nov-13 12:45:21

not bad, but you need to know your tariff so you can monitor and compare. Call them and ask which tariff (I think BG only have 3) and what the rates and standing charge are.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now