Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional insurance of anyone posting on Mumsnet and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Adult (ish) son and the vodophone saga

(7 Posts)
sneezecakesmum Tue 12-Nov-13 19:48:36

Idiot son ran up an enormous (£100s) vodophone bill a couple of years ago that they eventually sent to a debt collection agency. He has been paying this at £10 a month and the debt is now around £200 but the debt collection agency now have returned this debt to vodophone as it's probably not financially worthwhile collecting, though no explanation was given.

Vodophone haven't contacted him yet to write off the debt or sent it to another agency...now 2 weeks. He can't afford to pay this amount outright. If vodophone don't contact him can they send it to court so he ends up with a CCJ? Any idea what course they are likely to take?

bimbabirba Tue 12-Nov-13 21:58:04

The most likely thing to happen is that at some point in the future another debt collector like Moorcroft buy the debt and start chasing your son for payment. I can't see Vodafone taking him to court for such a small amount.

sneezecakesmum Wed 13-Nov-13 10:57:52

Thanks. I thought it would be something like this and maybe they won't be so accommodating and accept £10 pcm! At least they won't just go for court though without contacting him.

He has a CCJ from the water company for £80 which he just 'forgot' to pay and 'forgot' about until this CCJ arrived. Paying it wasn't the problem, just dealing with the boring things in life! He is a financial prat.

He'll just wait then!

LIZS Wed 13-Nov-13 11:00:29

Tell him to keep putting aside the money , they have a good few years to follow it up and if not in 2 years' time he can offer to settle .

sneezecakesmum Thu 14-Nov-13 20:35:27

DS put money aside! Pmsl and crying at the same time grin

sneezecakesmum Thu 14-Nov-13 20:36:24

Thanks anyway, I am grateful for any suggestions, and I think I'll put away a tenner a month myself!

If the debt is now down to £200, you can probably settle it for £80-£100. Details about how to write the letter here debtcamel.co.uk/debt-options/less-common/full-final/

(I don't make any money from any links in my posts)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now