Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional insurance of anyone posting on Mumsnet and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Declared tax credit income incorrectly, help please

(6 Posts)
AdamantEve Mon 11-Nov-13 20:20:15

Hi,
My partner has his own limited company. I have been declaring his income in the self employment section on the tax credit forms.
Except now I've realised his income is actually split between dividends from the company and payment as an employee of the company.
So not self employed income in the strictest sense.

So say for example he made 25,000 last year, I've put that figure as a whole into the self employment income box but it should have actually been 5000 dividends and 20,000 income from employment (PAYE).

So I have put the right amount of income on the form but in the wrong place - I feel like a massive idiot as I should have realised this was not right.
We are in the second year of a claim so I've written a letter with the details for the years we've been claiming but does anyone know what will happen?

There will be no overpayment as the household income details are accurate but will I be "in trouble" for filling the forms out incorrectly not just once but for two years?!

Any advice please... Thank you

bimbabirba Mon 11-Nov-13 20:34:32

If they've taken into account the total figure it doesn't matter in the least how you've entered. Thee can only be an overpayment if they've used a lower figure.
HTH smile

AdamantEve Mon 11-Nov-13 20:54:52

Thanks for replying! thanks
I know there'll be no overpayment as I've put down our income correctly but I'm just worried they'll penalise me for putting figures in the wrong boxes? Do they penalise for things like that?!

CogitoErgoSometimes Mon 11-Nov-13 21:31:43

HMRC are only really interested in making sure they pay out or receive in the right amount of money. I've messed up more tax forms than I care to remember, have occasionally had phone-calls checking the information or been requested to pay something back, but I've never been 'penalised' as such for simply making a mistake.

bimbabirba Mon 11-Nov-13 21:36:03

No they're not that mean wink

AdamantEve Mon 11-Nov-13 22:21:30

Thank you! I'll try to stop panicking now!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now