Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional insurance of anyone posting on Mumsnet and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

PPI - I have no idea if we ever had this ..

(7 Posts)
SolidGold Sun 10-Nov-13 00:11:54

... And if we did, who with.

How far back should I be checking? Where will it state that I took this out? Or is there some sort of central place where I can check?

CogitoErgoSometimes Sun 10-Nov-13 06:36:46

Have you taken out any loans, credit cards, car finance, catalogues etc in the last five or so years and have you kept hold of any statements? There isn't a central place that you can consult - personal finances are confidential after all - but if you know you had a loan with, say, Northern Rock you can talk/write to them, see if PPI was paid at the time and ask for it to be reimbursed.

SolidGold Sun 10-Nov-13 12:43:52

Thanks. If it's only the last five years that count, then no, as dh was self employed and insurance didn't cover him.

BMW6 Sun 10-Nov-13 13:42:48

My DH has recently received PPI refund on loan taken out in 2003, loan was paid off in 2008.

Claim was invited by the bank (lender) out of the blue.

ThePinkOcelot Mon 11-Nov-13 21:49:18

I've just decided to go with a company to see if I am entitled to any PPI back. I too have no idea if I have paid it or not. All I have done is give them a list of who I have had loans/credit cards with in the last 10 years. They have sent me the forms to sign, I sign them and send them back and they sort out the rest. They do take a cut (about 30% so quite hefty) but the way I look at it, I wouldn't do it myself so at least I'll get something back - if I have paid PPI of course.

LoosingBattle Tue 12-Nov-13 20:05:55

Sorry OP can I hi-jack thread for a second - posted in money matters but not had any response:

I made a rather large PPI claim a while ago, got a letter about a month ago to say I was getting the money back.

I then received a letter to say that the full amount had been put onto my credit card, wiping the balance and leaving a hefty amount on the card to spend. Great. :D

Then I got exactly the same letter the following week, only enclosing a cheque for the amount instead of saying that it would be put onto my card!

I have put the cheque into my bank account but feel terrible! Should I confess? Will they come back for the money anyway? or should I keep quiet and enjoy spending it? It has been 10 days since last letter...

BMW6 Wed 13-Nov-13 19:16:21

I normally advocate honesty, but in the case of a Bank giving you money twice I would be inclined to put the cheque into a new account, leave it to get interest and wait.......... grin

If no claim from them after, say, 5 years spend it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now