Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional insurance of anyone posting on Mumsnet and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

driving licence scam

(6 Posts)
BerylThePeril44 Wed 23-Oct-13 06:51:03

My husband fell for this scam. Applying for provisional license for my son, he used a dodgy site..one of these 'checking' sites, thinking it was dvla. Not only have we lost money, I'm very worried about identity theft in the future as he put in all his personal details!!!!! I know...I can't quite believe how naive he's been too. Any help appreciated x

CogitoErgoSometimes Wed 23-Oct-13 08:08:35

Bad luck. If he's worried about identity theft he should set about taking precautions such as replacing any credit cards used, changing passwords (if he tends to use the same password for other things) and running regular credit reports to make sure no-one is using his name fraudulently. Trading Standards or even the police may be interested in knowing details of the fake website.

catmadcaz Wed 23-Oct-13 19:30:48

This happened to my daughter and quite a few others. If you act quickly you can get your money back this is what I did.

I wrote a letter to the company stating that my daughter had thought it was the DVLA, and as the site was so misleading I had contacted the trading standards office in our local area. Although I had not done this.

I posted the letter recorded delivery. Within a few days had a response from the manager by email and a call aplogising and a full refund.

Hope this helps

BerylThePeril44 Thu 24-Oct-13 18:55:50

Thank you. They have emailed to say they are refunding our money...waiting with bated breath! More worried about all those personal details he gave them..

This is so galling. I wonder if google could do something so that the first sites that come up when you search for provisional licence (and passport sites incidentally) aren't the checking services. A lot of them are legitimate (though pointless) but cleverly dressed up to look like the dvla. You just give away x amount for bog all in return really. A friend managed it just yesterday applying for a passport.

Pacific Thu 24-Oct-13 19:03:18

Link to recent with some advice. Hope this helps.www.mumsnet.com/Talk/teenagers/1798910-Driving-licence-application-scam

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now