Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional insurance of anyone posting on Mumsnet and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

benefits?

(8 Posts)
charliezack Wed 16-Oct-13 14:56:08

My job finishes on the 3rd of November it was only seasonal
as soon as i get an interview and admit that i am pregnant you can see them trying to figure out how to get rid of me without saying its because of baby.
we rent and have no savings at all, i have called citizens advice and the job center etc but the first directs me to the second and the second cant be bother'd to even give advice and tell me im not eligible for anything
in a few weeks time i am going to be unable to pay my bills my partner doesn't get enough to pay for everything on his own
id be greatful for advice on who to talk to regarding this or what benefits i may be able to claim if you have been there before

Rockchick1984 Wed 16-Oct-13 15:08:07

How far along are you in your pregnancy? How much does your partner earn? And how long have you been working in your previous job? Would need more info to advise you smile

CogitoErgoSometimes Wed 16-Oct-13 15:19:04

Have you had a look at the benefits checker at www.turn2us.org.uk? If you run it as though it's 3rd November already you should get a good idea of what to claim and from where.

holidaysarenice Wed 16-Oct-13 15:25:16

Unless its very obvious there is no need to mention being pregnant.

Check the benefits eligibility and see what you could get?

debtcamel Wed 16-Oct-13 16:00:41

The Job Centre won't be interested as you aren't eligible for anything now.

Depending on what your OH earns you may or may not be eligible for JSA, Housing Benefit, Council Tax Support.

When is the baby due?

Use the benfits checker to see what you will be entitled to.

Do you have any debts? If you do, you should probably be assuming that you will not be able to carry on making normal repayments to them, you are going to be scrabbling around trying to manage without them.

bimbabirba Thu 17-Oct-13 21:50:46

Are you sure you can't get Maternity Allowance? If you've worked on and off in the last 18 months chances are you qualify.
Why isn't your local CAB interested? It may take a couple of visits to see someone who can give you useful info (the first "gateway" interview is only to screen the problem) but I'm sure that if you persevere you should get somewhere with them. Alternatively just go to JobCentre and ask about Maternity Allowance.
Also ask check housing and council tax benefits entitlement through your local Council.

OrangeFlower7 Fri 18-Oct-13 11:21:40

As your husband's working sounds like you'd qualify for Tax Credits maybe you should call the Tax Credit Helpline.

charliezack Thu 24-Oct-13 15:39:57

Im 17 weeks today ive been through whether i can get maternity allowance with a woman over the phone and she said it was too early to apply i think she said after 26 weeks but i might be wrong there
Im about to look on the turn to us thing so hopefully some answers from there
My partner gets about £950 a month
rent is £400
Council Tax £145
Phone contacts £60
Home phone internet and tv all together £45
Pet food Bills £50
Our Food Bill £100 can last 2 weeks though
Utilities £120
High Court £30
Credit Card £100 (we pay so high becuse even if we pay it we can still use it if nessisary think the lowest we can go is £50)
im sure im missing something though as i had to add at least £100 a month to his and the remainder of mine is the food bill

x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now