Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional insurance of anyone posting on Mumsnet and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Tax credits. advice please.

(2 Posts)
Arvg2009 Mon 16-Sep-13 12:23:22

Hi im a single mum with a 3 year old working full time no other support just myself and my daughter. I recieved a letter on sat from tax credits saying they had not recieved information they requested in april. I have checked bank today and all payments have been stopped. Having rang them this morning to be told that they sent the letter to my previoua address i moved out of in december and i did inform them. They requesting information my daughter attended nursery 2012-2013 which is bot a problem cause she still attends. I Am sending the information from nursery and bank statements to prove this. How long will it take to process and will it get back dated?? Also looking for any other advise as being single parent i will be struggling to pay bills rent as i dont get help with, ect.. any advise information is welcome. Can they really stop every penny i get.
Thanks

CogitoErgoSometimes Wed 18-Sep-13 11:43:18

Leaving the tax credit issue to one side for a second, run your details through the benefit checker at www.turn2us.org.uk as a first step as it will give you a very good idea about what benefits are potentially available, tax credits included. Are you getting some support from your 3yo's father?

How long it takes the tax credit team to process the information you've sent them will depend (IME) on how persistent you are. So don't wait for something to happen, give them a call frequently and ask for progress.

BTW... how about getting the Post Office to forward all your mail from your old address for a few months? No matter how careful you are, there's always some organisation or other that doesn't get the message you've moved house. Good luck

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now