Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional insurance of anyone posting on Mumsnet and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

tax refund or maybe not

(4 Posts)
cheerup Thu 05-Sep-13 14:23:36

I've had a letter saying that I'm due a tax refund - yippee! When I look at it more closely though the refund is because they say that I have earned under my personal allowance during the entire 12-13 tax year. That's not true. What happened was that I was TUPED to a different employer in October; the earnings they are quoting tally with my earnings to October with that employer but not with my overall 12-13 earnings. I can't find my blasted P60 which is really irritating and I'm on leave until next Wednesday I wouldn't have disposed of my P60 so it must be at work somewhere. It seems to me that I'm not actually due a refund but it would be really nice if somehow I am! Anyone got any ideas that will put me out of my misery before next week? Thanks in advance.

Rockchick1984 Thu 05-Sep-13 15:38:57

Ring the tax office and ask them to check?

cheerup Fri 06-Sep-13 13:28:33

I was trying to avoid phoning them as it's a premium rate number but did in the end and got through to a person after only 11 minutes. It cost me approx £1.50 of my own money to confirm that, as I suspected, I should not cash the refund cheque I have been sent. My new employer has not provided the revenue with the right paperwork so they have based their calculations on the P45 from the employer that I TUPE'd. A bit disappointed that I won't be receiving £663 after all and peeved that it's cost me cash to look into my employer's error. It'll be interesting to see when I get back to work next week, how many people who TUPE'd with me this has affected.

CogitoErgoSometimes Tue 10-Sep-13 17:09:32

Pity really. You could have put the cheque in a savings account and waited for them to notice the mistake. By the time they asked for it back you could have earned £1.50 in interest. smile

This is why I've filled out a self-assessment tax return for the last 10+ years. Have had so many wrong tax codes and PAYE cock-ups generally that I like to know I'm all square at least once a year.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now