Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional insurance of anyone posting on Mumsnet and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Tax Credits advice please

(5 Posts)
crazymama1 Thu 29-Aug-13 15:13:56

Hi, just after a bit of advice on how to work out tax credits please.

I am a single parent, currently work 37 hours, earn a decent(ish) amount, (£21, 388 before any deductions) a couple of jobs have come up at the same banding as me, but reduced hours (22 hours) I really want to apply for these, but the reduced hours = reduced pay at the end of each month (really want to spend a bit of extra time with my daughter!)

A colleague has told me that if I applied for and got the job at reduced hours/pay my tax credits may increase (not by a huge amount) but she seems to think I wouldn’t be that much worse off.

Can anyone tell me how Working Tax/Child Tax credits work please? I am confused, i currently get £36 per week in TCs

Thank you in advance!

Feelingworried67 Thu 29-Aug-13 15:20:42

Google "Benefits Calculator" and put in your information there, once you've filled out all info you will receive a fairly accurate amount of what you may be due to take less hours.

Stepinstone Thu 29-Aug-13 15:35:23

Yes google tax credits calculator. I think you will find that you are significantly worse off though.

crazymama1 Thu 29-Aug-13 16:10:43

Feelingworried & Steppinstone Thank you for this, I thought the same that I would be worse off, but this colleague was adamant that I wouldn’t be ‘that much’ worse off.

I will have a look at the calculator, just to get an idea, but I don’t think I will be applying for these other jobs.

I wrote a little post this a while ago, when the child benefit laws changed. There is a link to the tax benefits calculator, plus other stuff. Working part time and getting tax credits works for me - a good balance. Hope it works out well for you - good luck sorting through all the options www.ablissfullife.co.uk/2013/02/are-you-getting-all-financial-support.html

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now