Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional insurance of anyone posting on Mumsnet and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Ideas for making some extra cash please. Is avon, body shop etc worth it ?

(15 Posts)

I work part time in a nursery, but have recently had to have lots of time off because of poorly dd2.

Because of this my wages have been rubbish and i am now behind with rent and stuff, not massivly, but still not good.

I am looking for ways to make some extra cash for this and towards xmas.

Any ideas welcomed smile

Anyone ?? Have listed a few things on ebay, and left a message with someone about a carboot on sunday, but other than that I am drawing a blank.

Oh I have put up and ad for babysitting jobs too.

eBay though I find I often sell on my local buy/sell/swap groups on Facebook. Easy cash in your hand and good way to declutter especially for the things that may only sell on eBay for a few pounds grin

Ragwort Wed 28-Aug-13 08:24:06

I think babysitting is the way to go with your work skills, can you let it be known amongst the parents at the nursery that you are available for babysitting? Also you could offer an ironing and babysitting service which you could charge more per hour for?

I'm rubbish at ironing, my mum does mine lol.

I've let the other staff at work know that i'd be up for babysitting kids form nursery, so they can bear that in mind if parents ask.

Ive also sold a couple of things on ebay and listed some more.

Oh and i chased a refund i was owed, which went into my paypal account today too, so quite a good day.

Doing a car boot on saturday too.

Viviennemary Sun 01-Sep-13 23:29:41

I knew somebody who did Betterware and said it was quite a reasonable profit margin. It's cleaning stuff and other bits and pieces. Seems to work similar to Avon with catalogue.

Wonderstuff Sun 01-Sep-13 23:35:55

I did Avon a few years ago, you don't earn a lot, I mostly used what I made to get myself free make up because I could afford to buy any, but in run up to Christmas I made £40-£100 in the 4 campaigns leading up. Mainly through people at work ordering through me, but some dor to door success. I imagine you'd make more with party style things, Ann Summers etc., but there is the hassle of childcare, finding people to host etc. and they cost more to buy into.

rockdakazbah Mon 02-Sep-13 08:26:21

I did Avon for a while and found it to be quite good. I gave up because I moved out of the area and my new street already had an Avon lady. I made about 75 pounds per campaign with minimal outlay. Unfortunately, I left before Christmas but I hear you can double your earnings.

Ragwort Mon 02-Sep-13 10:24:31

If you are confident about selling on Ebay can you offer a service where you sell on behalf of other people and keep a small commission? I know lots of people (including myself grin) who haven't got the time/inclination to learn how to use Ebay but would love someone else to do it for them and happily give then a decent percentage of the sale.

<or perhaps I am just an lazy luddite?>

AyUpMiDuck Tue 03-Sep-13 18:06:47

I think your ebay push is a great idea - we got £350 for DS's Lego and more recently over £100 for Warhammer- most of it was well used and given to us so that was a great result. Break stuff into small lots. I haven't made much from clothes on ebay though.

For quick money I would offer to do things that other people don't want to do:- cleaning or weeding/ tidying up gardens (£10 per hour) or cleaning ovens! place a card in local shop /church hall or ask neighbours/friends especially those who work long hours.

When my DS was tiny I started a business selling Forever aloe & bee products (direct selling like Avon). I held a couple of parties to launch my business and made £200! You will need to buy some products to show at parties so it's not the quick fix you were asking for but it worked for me when I was looking for flexible hours. I built up a group of regular customers and also trained a few other people so I can earn bonuses on their turnover too. It might be something to consider when you are Out of The Woods! pm me if you want to know more. Good Luck whatever you do!

Teawithatwix Tue 03-Sep-13 18:23:24

How about offering to do dog walking for neighbours? Can you work evenings? Waitressing even though minimum wage can bring in good tips £30+ per shift.

ErnieBalance Tue 03-Sep-13 19:34:42

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

annieg21 Tue 03-Sep-13 19:36:20

Hi Nutcracker, I use a babysitting agency called Sitters (they are nationwide) and the sitters that they send me are all either registered childminders or nursery assistants looking to supplement their income. The first time I booked a sitter through them the lady who turned up was one of the daytime nursery assistants at the nursery that my son goes to, so I was pleased because he knew her and so did I. It's a good way to earn extra cash. Their website is www.sitters.co.uk/

Hope this helps

jennyc1974 Tue 03-Sep-13 20:12:39

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

beautylife Thu 08-May-14 22:32:02

Hi have you tried It Works???

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now