Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional insurance of anyone posting on Mumsnet and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

calling all drinkers...Money saving budget tips---For wine!

(33 Posts)
bumbleandbumble Sat 10-Aug-13 19:53:08

We are in a financial mess at the moment and I am really trying to cut back spending. No more clothes, no more holidays, no more eating out, budget everything food shopping wise...

My problem is that even when I am staying in, I still would like a bottle of wine. Where is the cheapest yet good quality wine? Is there an online place that has good deals?

PedantMarina Wed 28-Aug-13 11:55:01

I'm an Aldi Baron St Jean fan myself - £2.99/bottle. The stuff they have for less (£2.49?) is not only low-power but just too fruity and sweet, IMHO.

And, general tip: Even the nastiest red wine improves with opening and decanting/breathing for a bit before consuming (I've heard a rumour that some people can wait for a few minutes before scoffing the lot).

myalias Wed 28-Aug-13 11:59:56

The boxes are good value and hold 2.25 litres equivalent of 3 bottles or 300 litres 4 bottles range from £13 - £18. The reds can last up to 3 - 4 weeks once opened.

Snoopytwist Mon 02-Sep-13 21:48:16

Add ice cubes to your glass of white - it makes it go further and is still drinkable...

Also, if you've got any cassis, buy a bottle of cheap white and put a little cassis in it - transforms harsh white into gluggable rose! Hmm - wonder if it would work with ribena?!

Notmadeofrib Tue 03-Sep-13 20:42:27

gruffalump ... tell us your brewing tips!

CelticPromise Tue 03-Sep-13 20:52:49

I like Naked wines but it's not cheap.

My top tip is to buy when the shops have their buy six get 25% off deals. Sainsbury's has something decent on offer at about a fiver usually, buy six and you get it for under four quid. Also, M&S own brand Italian white, red and rose are each about £6.50 but they are 1ltr bottles so very good value with 25% off.

wine <hic>

CremeEggThief Mon 09-Sep-13 21:17:33

Quite enjoying the retro vibe of drinking Muscadet at the moment. £4.49 a bottle from Tesco- my weekend treat smile.

CogitoErgoSometimes Tue 10-Sep-13 12:39:32

If your wine really is confined to being a Friday night luxury I say 'don't spoil the ship for a ha'porth of tar'.... buy small amounts of decent stuff (there are plenty of special offers in the £7 - £10 range), sip it slowly and appreciate it, rather than wasting your money.

Sainsbury's House wines are only £4.50 and there are loads to choose from. Gorgeous too! :-)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now