Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional insurance of anyone posting on Mumsnet and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

SINGLE MUMS!! Come and tell me how you managed to get off benefits and afford to run a house!

(5 Posts)
Wetthemogwai Thu 25-Jul-13 14:05:53

Dd (2 and a half years) and I (22) have just moved into a housing association house and I, as a single parent, am running it alone with the help of benefits.

I had an interview for college today which was great and inspiring until it came to the tuition fees.
I have qualifications already but nothing particularly useful and half a degree that I can't/won't finish meaning I have 3 of my 5 years of student finance eligibility left. I COULD use a student loan to pay for it however it is an access to higher education course so the final year of the degree I plan to do after wouldn't be covered and there for I'd have to pay for myself. Paying for this access course myself would work out much cheaper.

Today I got a letter from the job centre saying that I am to be fined over £100 for not declaring some part time work I'd done.
I did declare it however the way it was handled meant that they had to go to the employer for proof and by the end of it it is now 4 months since I worked those 2 shifts and it has 'only just been declared'.
I can't seem to do right for doing wrong.

So, right now it seems I am trapped on benefits forever with no one willing to throw me a rope.


I just want to better myself and be a good example to dd. plus, I'm bored and need to get out of this awful rut I've got myself into.

I'm 22 with my own house and a beautiful child ffs, life should be better than this!

Runningchick123 Thu 25-Jul-13 16:15:23

As you are 22 could to do an apprenticeship and earn whilst learning?
Or a career development loan might be useful as they don't have to be paid back if you go on to attend uni after completing the college course.

SuckAtRelationships Wed 31-Jul-13 21:10:07

I am 23 and just got a job.

I studied with the OU and had my fees paid for me, am now half way through and my work so far was enough to get me a part time job in the NHS. Whilst studying I was on income support (I also got child benefit, council tax help, housing benefit, and child tax credit - I hope I can pay some of this back through taxes now)

I would reccommend the OU route for all single parents trying to get somewhere x

escape Fri 02-Aug-13 08:52:20

What are for career/job plans - what do you want to do?
It is a trap it s very easy to get stuck into.
I am self employed - now I have the huge worry/pressure of supporting us all - it's never easy either way.
If I was to be 'emptied' I have no idea what I would do in the current climate!

maniccats Sun 01-Sep-13 13:21:05

If you want to study I would suggest doing something vocational that will lead to a job afterwards. I have a degree in languages which is all but useless, and I am overqualified for entry level jobs. 2 of my children did vocational degrees (Medicine and Quantity Surveying) that led straight to jobs. My daughter is doing a vocational Masters.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now