Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional insurance of anyone posting on Mumsnet and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

STBExH's 'kindness' leaving me £250pm worse off!

(44 Posts)
ProphetOfDoom Thu 04-Jul-13 21:02:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ProphetOfDoom Wed 10-Jul-13 21:12:08

ThingummyBob Wed 10-Jul-13 20:15:59

Because you can only declare the net cost of childcare after vouchers in a claim for childcare tax credits.

It depends on the actual circumstances but for 3 children in childcare I imagine you are better off not taking the vouchers and getting CTC on the whole amount.

There is a calculator here but it doesn't seem to be working at the mo hmm

ProphetOfDoom Wed 10-Jul-13 19:34:56

allnewtaketwo Wed 10-Jul-13 12:58:40

They're not jointly on 26k though.

peteypiranha Wed 10-Jul-13 08:12:06

allnew- You obviously dont understand the system. No couple or single parent on 26k would accept childcare vouchers. They could end up £1000s a year worse off.

ProphetOfDoom Tue 09-Jul-13 20:38:13

allnewtaketwo Tue 09-Jul-13 18:41:07

Do you have a sore eye with all that winking or us it just a squint?

ThingummyBob Tue 09-Jul-13 17:54:40

You win allnew

Idiotic rationale is clearly your forte wink

Matilda of course finances will change when dependant children live with one parent only full time. I wouldn't care what "Xenia" thinks as she is not real

ProphetOfDoom Tue 09-Jul-13 16:40:39

allnewtaketwo Tue 09-Jul-13 16:25:07

Bang away, might knock all that anger out if you

allnewtaketwo Tue 09-Jul-13 16:24:25

Relying on your ex who earns 2300pm to pay you 700pm to cover your mortgage snd council tax probably isn't a good situation to be in either. Lots of people aren't in ideal situations. Such is life

ThingummyBob Tue 09-Jul-13 16:23:39

I didn't say it was relevant confused I said it was guff - you said it wasn't.

It's not supposedly available to all parents, never has been. Therefore, tis guff.

<<bangs head>>

Bonsoir Tue 09-Jul-13 16:18:24

"Many NRPs require, use and pay for childcare Bonsoir."

I know but it is not a good situation when NRPs pay for the childcare used by the RP. Many years of experience tells me that this is not a good situation to be in.

allnewtaketwo Tue 09-Jul-13 16:18:22

And that's relevant to this situation because.....

Note my post said "supposedly available to...."

ThingummyBob Tue 09-Jul-13 16:16:09

It's not a tax break available to all parents at all.

It is specifically a salary sacrifice scheme only. Available to employees who qualify if their company offers the scheme.

It is not at all mandatory for employers to offer it and take up is low.

It is no use for the self employed, those who work in minimum wage jobs or those who cannot find childcare which accepts the vouchers.

allnewtaketwo Tue 09-Jul-13 16:06:19

Many NRPs require, use and pay for childcare Bonsoir.

Bonsoir Tue 09-Jul-13 15:16:31

A non-resident parent doesn't require childcare, let alone deserve a tax break for it.

allnewtaketwo Tue 09-Jul-13 15:16:16

"child maintenance isn't supposed to cover childcare allnew"

Cm is a percentage of the NRP salary towards upkeep of the child. Nowhere is it stipulated what the Pwc should spend that on

allnewtaketwo Tue 09-Jul-13 15:13:42

"However as another way of looking at it, why should nrps be denied the right to a tax break supposedly available to all working parents"

And that is "guff" because?

ProphetOfDoom Tue 09-Jul-13 13:41:44

ProphetOfDoom Tue 09-Jul-13 13:38:34

ImNotBloody14 Tue 09-Jul-13 13:06:28

child maintenance isn't supposed to cover childcare allnew. the csa don't alter the amount paid if childcare becomes necessary. they base it on the NRP's income and whether they have other children. put it this way, if OP stopped working and no longer needed childcare- the NRP wouldn't get a reduction in child maintenance.

OP is paying for her own childcare using her WTC and CTC. the child maintenance is for food and clothes and electric and rent etc relating to the costs of the children living with OP.

ThingummyBob Tue 09-Jul-13 13:06:21

I personally think she has a moral obligation to share this "win" with the other parent, who is as capable as the pwc as spending the money to the benefit of the child.

Guff spouted here ^^

and here

* However as another way of looking at it, why should nrps be denied the right to a tax break supposedly available to all working parents*

allnewtaketwo Tue 09-Jul-13 12:56:40

what exactly am I "spouting"? I have said I understand how the OP feels and have offered an alternative.

The OP has calmly discussed the pracital realities of the position, the only person getting nasty and vindictive over her ex is you.

Not everyone has a chip on their shoulder, you know wink

ThingummyBob Tue 09-Jul-13 12:52:14

OP I understand. His net gain of around £50 per month would mean a net loss to you of more than he gains.

Would be madness even if he was hands-on and an active part of the childcare routine. As he's not I wouldn't even sweat it.

Allnew no I'm not quite 10 yet wink

<<tilts head>> I am wondering if you have a partner who pays maintenance to an ex of his? You are spouting the sort of guff that second wives often spout about maintenance.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now