Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional insurance of anyone posting on Mumsnet and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Nattional Insurance query - both employed and self employed

(1 Post)
MirandaWest Thu 27-Jun-13 13:39:09

I have several employed jobs and two self employed ones. Due to the nature of the work (nearly all connected with exams in one way or another) I don't work evenly throughout the year.

As I earn over the exemption limit for my self employment work I pay Class 2 and due to my profits pay Class 4 as well. With the employed work I pay Class 1 on the major job I have. As I only do it twice a year but it is quite well paid I end up paying a lot more Class 1 than I would if it were evenly spaced throughout the year (think I wouldn't pay any at all but not sure of the limits).

Is there anything that I can do about this or am I just stuck as National Insurance isn't treated the same way as tax? On gross earnings over a month period of about £2,200 I've just had to pay £200 NI which is a little frustrating when I'll only earn about £5,000 over the whole year for that work.

Thank you for anyone who knows more than I do smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now