Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional insurance of anyone posting on Mumsnet and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Which credit cards gives best 'rewards'?

(21 Posts)
CogitoErgoSometimes Thu 02-May-13 08:44:54

Thanks! Think I'll keep it nevertheless.

OfflineFor40Years Thu 02-May-13 08:24:24

Cogito - here's the link. You only have a couple of weeks to opt out before you're transferred onto the new system.

http://www.nectar.com/landing/nectarcreditcardfaq2/index.rnectar

Sorry don't know how to do links on my tabletblush

CogitoErgoSometimes Thu 02-May-13 06:23:35

When did you get this letter Mutt? I've not seen anything and there's nothing on the website flagging that there will be a charge.

Mutt Wed 01-May-13 19:19:09

Careful with the Nectar Credit Card.

I got one a year ago to get more points - just received a letter telling me they will be starting to charge a £25 annual fee from the anniversary of me getting it.

Needless to say, it has been cancelled.

I only got it to get a load of points from an introductory offer. After that I only used it in Sainsburys because you get more points for using it there but elsewhere I use my Capital One Mastercard which gives me annual cashback on everything I spend.

Be worth your while looking here too for what would be best in your individual circumstances.

Crutchlow35 Wed 01-May-13 19:11:26

I have a nectar card. Never thought of nectar credit card. We use sainsburys and have about £60 saved on points so far this year. We use ours on our Christmas shop. Must look at the cc.

CogitoErgoSometimes Wed 01-May-13 08:42:52

I shop at Sainsbury so I have a Nectar card and a Nectar credit card. It can be linked to E-Bay and they are partnered up with various e-shops like Hotel Chocolat, Viking and BP. We're not heavy purchasers but have already clocked up £40 this year. Last year I cashed in almost £200 worth.

fishybits Wed 01-May-13 06:47:31

For us travel is a priority so we use Virgin Atlantic credit cards. In a year we've already got enough miles for 2 premium economy return flights anywhere that Virgin fly. The cards are paid off every month so that a saving to us of between £1700 and £2000 this year. DH already owed 68 days leave. At this rate we'll be flying Upper Class

Numberlock Wed 01-May-13 06:31:54

Lloyds TSB Amex/Mastecard - one Avios point (formerly AirMiles) for every £ spent.

rubia Wed 01-May-13 06:23:42

Another vote for JL card, we spend about 2k a month on it and get £50 voucher whenever the send them, not sure if that's quarterly??! Anyway I love deciding what to buy, usually kitchen things- good quality pans etc they I might usually skimp on. Rock n roll me ;)

Mrsrobertduvall Mon 29-Apr-13 17:41:11

Yes I spend a lot shock
However we put all dh's business stuff through...petrol, flights, techy stuff, white goods .
Personally I put about £35k a year on it.

ouryve Sun 28-Apr-13 19:55:34

I I had a JL or waitrose handy, I'd have a JL card.

I have a flipping Barclaycard World Mastercard, instead. I didn't want one, but they bought out egg credit cards and I've not found anything I'd prefer which has such good product guarantee terms. I got £87 in cashback on it, last month, which is not to be sniffed at, really (it's not used for the main household spending - DH's is and he got a lot more cashback!)

And yes, I'm a bit pissed off that just about every non mainstream financial product I have has been bought by sodding Barclays.

Pantah630 Sun 28-Apr-13 19:50:16

Another JL card here, you can use the vouchers in JL or Waitrose which helps if you want a treat smile

CarolBornAMan Sun 28-Apr-13 19:14:49

I have a JL card and it works out that you get a £5 voucher for every 500 points you acquire.

You get a point every time you spend a £1 in JL or £2 elsewhere .. so by my bad maths .. I think she must spend £75K in JL each year or £150K elsewhere? Or somewhere in between ..

I also have a card and get about £150 a year and i reckon last year I spent about £30K on my card - mainly business expenses.. I am now not spending so much on business so am looking to change my card and will be following this!

Skinnywhippet Sat 27-Apr-13 20:59:18

Mrs Robert. How much do you need to put on card to gets £750 of vouchers?

Skinnywhippet Sat 27-Apr-13 20:58:02

Marking my place. Interested as well. I have a Santander 123 which is rarely used,but good when going abroad.

Mrsrobertduvall Sat 27-Apr-13 08:19:07

I have a JL card and get about £750 back in vouchers each year.

OhThisIsJustGrape Sat 27-Apr-13 08:18:05

Ah well then, that's me sold <shallow>

OfflineFor40Years Sat 27-Apr-13 08:05:12

And an added bonus with the JL card is that you get to choose the colour of your card grin

OhThisIsJustGrape Sat 27-Apr-13 07:59:25

I do my weekly shop at waitrose so I'm thinking John Lewis card would be best, think I'll have a good look at them all today and see what's best.

Thanks smile

OfflineFor40Years Sat 27-Apr-13 07:42:59

It probably depends on where you shop. Our nearest supermarket and petrol station is a Tesco so we have a Tesco credit card. We pay for nearly everything thing on it and get around £40-50 of vouchers per quarter.
They can be converted for 4x their face value into certain restaurant/days out/online gardening/magazine subscription vouchers.
So it works well for us as we even though we haven't changed our shopping pattern we now have extra treats.

If you want plain cash back, Santander have a card that does that. John Lewis give shopping vouchers so that might be worth it if you use Waitrose a lot.

OhThisIsJustGrape Sat 27-Apr-13 07:33:16

Have been thinking for a while about taking out a credit card to use for everything and then paying it all off at end of the month, I know a few people who do this to get nectar points/clubcard points etc.

Is it worth doing? Which gives the best return in terms of points collected etc?

It would always be paid off in full each month btw, I want it purely to gain a few extras smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now