Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional insurance of anyone posting on Mumsnet and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Why has DH got a different tax code to me??

(9 Posts)
rumbelina Wed 17-Apr-13 20:50:14

Oh I am such a dilbert. Came home and checked the letter and his code is changing to 926L due to petrol expenses.

No idea why I read it as over 1000, sorry to waste your time!

MrAnchovy Wed 17-Apr-13 17:05:51

The back of the letter will explain how they arrived at the figure.

How much you earn has nothing to do with it (unless it is over £100,000) and nor do repayment of a student loan or (eligible) childcare vouchers.

rumbelina Wed 17-Apr-13 10:51:28

We both pay for childcare vouchers and he pays for student loan pre-tax. Everything else is the same - no benefits/allowances etc.

My colleague who is on one scale lower than me (but for the same job) has a tax code of 948L.

It must be either the student load affecting it or to rectify over payments although DH has been in his job for 8 years so you'd have thought it would have been correct.

Do either of you get any "benefits in kind" from your employer - health insurance, company car, etc? Not sure if childcare vouchers would come into this category. Or do either of you pay anything out of your salary before tax - charitable giving, additional pension contributions?

Its based on a lot of other things as well as straight salary. Plus as above, any adjustments from previous years.

LIZS Wed 17-Apr-13 10:36:35

Maybe he overpaid last year and this is to rectify that.

CogitoErgoSometimes Wed 17-Apr-13 10:30:38

Is he owed any tax from a previous year?

pricepromisevoucher Wed 17-Apr-13 10:27:19

Does he get professional allowances or tax relief on subscriptions?

rumbelina Wed 17-Apr-13 10:24:19

Whoops, neither of us would get married couple's allowance as I have just noticed that is for people who are 80+.

rumbelina Wed 17-Apr-13 10:12:59

DH got a letter a couple of months ago saying his tax code would be changing to something like 1012 - I can't quite remember but it is definitely more than my 944.

We both earn the same amount of money and the HMRC website says the normal tax code for 2013/14 is 944L.

We haven't applied for Married Allowance - might they have just added this on to him anyway?

Any ideas?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now