Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional insurance of anyone posting on Mumsnet and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Self Employed Mum needs HELP!

(4 Posts)
Rockchick1984 Thu 21-Mar-13 23:27:26

You get maternity allowance for a maximum of 9 months during which time you can work 10 days without losing your maternity allowance. If you worked more than this you are considered to have returned to work and maternity allowance would stop.

If you wanted to return earlier than 9 months your husband could take the remaining part of the 9 months as paternity leave and would be entitled to the same rate of pay as you were getting on maternity allowance.

Your household earnings are above the threshold for all benefits apart from child benefit which is around £80 every 4 weeks.

Hope that helps!

Working tax credit is if you are on a low income I think about £16k or less.

Child tax credit/help towards child are for one child the limit I think is £26k.

The child are vouchers are a saving so worth looking into. Otherwise apart from child benefit I think your household income takes you above the levels for any more help.

RedHelenB Thu 21-Mar-13 17:32:21

£35k takes you above the threshold for tax credits but you will get child benefit.

darrenhales Thu 21-Mar-13 17:12:08

Hi All,

Sorry if I come across stupid, but have got a bit lost in minefield of what benefits I can and can't claim and thought someone in a similar situation maybe able to help.

I am self employed and pay my own tax and NI.
I work roughly 40 hours a week over 5 days.
My earnings after tax and deductions is around £15-20k - but my average flies up and down depending on the work.

My husband is emplyeed full time on a salary of £35k

We are expecting our first baby on the 20th June 2013.

A month after the baby is born, my husband will continue his job, and I plan to work roughly 3 half days a week. My earning maybe anywhere between £5-10k a year after tax and deductions - but due to the nature of my job one week I might earn £300, the next £1000.

I am aware that I can't claim Statutory Maternity Pay, but I am entitled to Maternity Allowance. I am told that when claiming this, I can work 10 days (doesn't matter if these are for 2 hours or 10 hours), and then I must notify the Job Centre. At which point I could lose it all together, or claim part of it depending on how many hours I work. Does anyone know what is the optimum hours/days I should look to do? Does it work better to work less days and more hours, or doesn't it matter?

Child tax credit - is this something we would be entitled to - and can anyone advise next steps with this?

Working tax credit - I'm planning to go back to self employed work pretty quickly, would I be entitled to this?

Childcare tax credit - And our child would go into nursery 2 or 3 half days a week - would we get support with this?

Or if this isn't an option, could my husband get Childcare Vouchers?

Lastly, I've read about shared paternity - if my husband wanted to take more than two weeks off work, could he do this and have some of my maternity leave (although do I technically not get this because I am self employed?).

Sorry for sounding stupid, and I have tried to research this, but have made so many phone calls and been passed between so many people and businesses, I am at a loss!

Any advise would be fantastic x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now