Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional insurance of anyone posting on Mumsnet and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

so if you use your debit card to buy foreign currency at a UK bureaux de change...

(10 Posts)
kimmy121 Tue 19-Mar-13 13:43:43

i used my card in ramsdens and didn't get a charge from the bank.
its a shop, so how would the bank tell its for currency? i don't think they can, can they?

TeWiSavesTheDay Tue 19-Mar-13 07:22:00

I had a good look at mse, and there is a good card comparison tool wrt, withdrawing money in a different currency/paying for things abroad. The best choice seems to be certain credit cards, if you've got time to apply for one.

CogitoErgoSometimes Tue 19-Mar-13 07:17:36

Is the foreign currency Euros or US Dollars? If so, I can recommend the pre-paid credit cards offered by companies such as FairFX - comparisons here. Good exchange rate, low commission and no charges when using them except for cash withdrawals.

onamissiontomakeithappen Mon 18-Mar-13 18:33:10

interesting ilovepowerhoop thanks for looking into it as when I spoke to them they said there was a charge, maybe its the small print * *commission charges apply? not going to risk it though so will withdraw cash!!

although I suppose the company you are buying it from may charge you instead

the rbs rates and charges leaflet says they dont charge. I'm sure they used to charge

Alibabaandthe40nappies Mon 18-Mar-13 18:21:59

HSBC don't do this, or charge you when you are abroad.

onamissiontomakeithappen Mon 18-Mar-13 18:15:33

shocking!!! I thought it was only if you were abroad... shock

it is true. I normally withdraw cash and then use that to buy currency. You dont (normally) get charged if you buy from your own bank.

onamissiontomakeithappen Mon 18-Mar-13 17:23:33

Your bank is likely to charge you a transaction fee??!! unbelievable!!!! I just called my bank (RBS) and they confirmed it!!

If I've got it wrong please let me know...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now