Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional insurance of anyone posting on Mumsnet and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Which clears quicker a cheque deposit or a bank transfer?

(12 Posts)
Ilovemydogandmydoglovesme Mon 18-Feb-13 12:58:39

It was a bond payment. She said it would clear immediately, I checked my account online and it was available. Perhaps it makes a difference what sort of account you have. confused

www.lloydstsb.com/legal/cheque_clearing_process.asp - tells the different timescales depending on if you pay in a LTSB or non-LTSB cheque

if the cheque you were paying in was a LloydsTSB cheque too then it will have come out the other persons account immediately and would be available in your account immediately too

Ilovemydogandmydoglovesme Sun 17-Feb-13 15:39:52

I sometimes bank with Lloyds and when I recently deposited a cheque the lady behind the counter told me they have a new system now and they clear immediately and the money is available right away. Don't know of this is the case with all banks, why don't you ring your local branch and ask?

www.natwest.com/personal/current-accounts/g4/cheques/clearing.ashx - shows when cheque would be available depending what day you pay it in

if both banks use the faster payments service then the money will be in your account within a couple of hours. If you get a cheque it will take 3 clear working days to clear not including the day of deposit e.g. pay in on monday, 3 full working days (tues, wed, thurs) and funds available on friday. Weekends dont count either so if you paid in on for e.g. wednesday then the 3 working days would be thurs, fri, mon and you couldnt get the funds until the tuesday.

noisytoys Fri 15-Feb-13 16:37:28

Bank transfer with faster payments is instant, bank to building society is next day

LetsKateWin Fri 15-Feb-13 06:56:28

5 days

LetsKateWin Fri 15-Feb-13 06:56:02

Bank transfers usually take two hours. Cheques with ny bank take two days.

ginmakesitallok Fri 15-Feb-13 06:50:00

Bank transfer

In my experience bank transfer is much quicker and easier.

chubbymomie2012 Fri 15-Feb-13 06:47:06

My parents are giving me some money and I wonder which would be quicker a cheque I deposit in my account or my dad transferring funds on Internet. We are both with different banks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now