Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional insurance of anyone posting on Mumsnet and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Newly separated, what is my Tax Credit situation?

(2 Posts)
CogitoErgoSometimes Mon 04-Feb-13 13:15:42

You're now classed as a household in your own right but, if your exH did not bring any income into the household, your claim won't change much because it's based on household income. However, it's always worth putting your new circumstances through something like the benefit checker at www.turn2us.org.uk just in case there is something you're missing out on. Single person discount to the Council Tax springs to mind.

TheFPO Mon 04-Feb-13 11:13:59

I have recently separated from my husband, I have left the home and myself and my child are staying with friends temporarily. Now that I am classed as "single" does anyone know if I am entitled to more or less tax credits. I receive CTC for my child and a small amount of WTC, my husband does not have an income, I do work and the claim was made originally in joint names?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now