Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional insurance of anyone posting on Mumsnet and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Could you and your family of 5 live comfortably on £175 a week

(40 Posts)
Shinyshoes1 Sat 08-Dec-12 15:12:17

After all bills are paid but excludes food shopping ?

This is the budget I have left to feed myself DP 2 teenage sons and a 5 year old

I struggle every month

Is this doable or am I being unrealistic

ivykaty44 Mon 10-Dec-12 22:17:11

I think the holes in shoes and wine part go together

herhonesty Mon 10-Dec-12 18:53:54

I spend about 90 a week for four and that's from ocado/one stop for emergencies. So yes, 175 a week should be doable. Do you eat meat every night.

Ciske Mon 10-Dec-12 14:35:41

It sounds like you have enough money but you spend it in the wrong place. I don't know how substantial your wine budget is, but maybe you'd feel better if you dropped the wine for a week, and got yourself some new shoes instead? smile

Plus all the other things people have already said about understanding your budget, meal plan etc.

We are a family of 5, at the moment our weekly food shop including cat food/litter and cleaning is about £75.

I meal plan, we don't have any alcohol now as we were struggling and it was a real luxury. Same goes for fizzy drinks. We also just drink water, tea or coffee.

We don't have many ready made snacks at all, just a large multi pack of crisps per week, and once it's done it's done. I try and bulk cook at the weekends so we have a stock of meals I can take out the night before in the freezer.

We haven't been out for a treat for months, but do let the children pick a "birthday treat" takeaway.

Also the term "the less fortunate".

Do you know how you come across? Or are you oblivious?

The bit about earning more is objectionable (I agree about the fizzy drinks).

If it were so easy to just earn more I doubt there would be a credit crunch board.

Xenia Mon 10-Dec-12 13:50:16

We were asked for tips. I just drink tap water and actually in terms of health that is better than caffeine, fizzy drinks and alcohol and all that Starbucks rubbish. What is wrong with that? The teenagers pour in into big glasses, they add ice to it. It costs zero. If we could get the less fortunate only to drink water and given the role fizzy drinks play in ruining the nation's health we might have a double benefit. I have said nothing objectionable on this thread.

wheredidiputchristmas Mon 10-Dec-12 12:44:44

"Xenia Mon 10-Dec-12 11:32:13

I only drink tap water. That saves some money. My teenage boys eat food cooked from scratch on the whole.

I always think though that it can be easier just to earn more - see threads like women who earn £1000 a day for inspiration - much more fun than credit crunch threads."

And as usual you have completely missed the point. I really don't know why you post on this site as we are all so clearly beyond help as we don't earn loads and put our children and family before money all the time.

Even if she earned more its still a ridiculous way to spend money!! Its not as if £175 a week for food and treats is a miserable amount.

<must learn how to ignore xenia>

Xenia Mon 10-Dec-12 11:32:13

I only drink tap water. That saves some money. My teenage boys eat food cooked from scratch on the whole.

I always think though that it can be easier just to earn more - see threads like women who earn £1000 a day for inspiration - much more fun than credit crunch threads.

Mandy21 Mon 10-Dec-12 10:31:46

Thats an awful lot of money per week. I can food-shop for my family of 5 for about £60 per week, perhaps a little bit more for top up milk etc. You need to cut back on the wine I'd say and the ready-made snacks.

MummytoKatie Sun 09-Dec-12 02:23:34

How much are you spending on wine? Do you drink a lot of wine or is it just really expensive wine?

Pretty blatantly you either need to drink less wine or buy cheaper wine.

LadyKooKoo Sun 09-Dec-12 00:23:09

This probably sounds harsh but if you did 'spend a good portion of the budget on wine' and you are also walking around with 'holes in your shoes' then there are bigger issues here.

You need to keep receipts for everything you buy and record it so you can work out where the money is going. I record everything by shop and then group (food, toiletries, household etc). Wine budget is probably £15 a month and that is for a half decent bottle when (if) the inlaws come for dinner!

CogitOCrapNotMoreSprouts Sat 08-Dec-12 19:20:08

I'd tackle the next Tesco shop this way

1. Check your cupboard and freezer contents and plan a full week of meals that uses up a lot of the things you already have.
2. Work out what you need to make up the rest of the meals, make a list then go online and start filling the basket
3. Start with 'real' foods, cleaning products and other essentials first and leave all non-essential things like wine, savoury snacks, confectionery and so on out completely
4. Keep an eye on the running total and, once you've filled the basket with the essentials, see how much you have left in your budget for wine etc.
5. Aim to spend £25 less than your allotted budget so that you have a bit of spare left for emergency top ups during the week.

bunjies Sat 08-Dec-12 18:42:48

Yes you absolutely can feed a family of 5 on £175 a week.

Cut out all processed and prepared stuff for a start. Fruit for snacks. Which shop do you go to? What kind of meat do you buy? Is it expensive cuts?

Shinyshoes1 Sat 08-Dec-12 18:21:34

Thanks guys I'll have to seriously look at ways to cut back . I only shop at tesco but admittedly I spend a good portion of the budget on wine.
I buy sausage rolls , scotch eggs , satays, fresh deli counter meat and other snacky bits for the kids , but I should just give them bananas and bread etc until dinner time.

I get paid at the end of the month , already I have just £20.00 left :-(( ( although cos of it being Christmas I get wages early this month )

I've got to seriously look at my spending , it's not like I'm being frivolous , I'm walking around with holes in my shoes :-/

bubbles1231 Sat 08-Dec-12 16:54:54

family of 4 here. spend £100 per week at tesco, but £70 if we shop at aldi.

Cahohohootz Sat 08-Dec-12 16:51:11

I agree with other posters.

You need to write down where you spend your money. Try to do it for a few weeks and see what you find.

ilovexmastime Sat 08-Dec-12 16:37:47

I was going to say no way when I saw the thread title, but when I read that it was just for food and treats I changed my mind. We could easily do it.

titchy Sat 08-Dec-12 16:34:46

Blimey you must be buying all your food from Fortnum and Mason!!!! £125 a week on food should be plenty, leaving you plenty for treats.

Big pan of bolognaise sauce shouldn't cost more than a few quid (say £2 on mince, £1 on tinned tomatoes, £1 on purée, carrot onio.n garlic , plus another pound on a bag of pasta and that's a meal for a fiver. A loaf of bread plus marg and ham and tomatoes between you for sandwich lunch maybe £3, cereal an milk for five maybe £2 a day plus another fiver a day for tea, biscuits and fruit comes to £15 for three meals, tea, biscuits and fruit. So for a week that's £105. Add a tenner toiletries and household stuff and another tenner for a slightly more expensive meal like Sunday roast and you should be easily able to manage!!!

QueenofNightmares Sat 08-Dec-12 16:29:33

There are 3 of us and we spend £40 a week at most. Can I recommend you join the Grocery Challenge over here? You start by cutting your budget by a small amount and work at it going down further each month smile

CanonFodder Sat 08-Dec-12 16:28:12

Oh and we shop at Sainsburys. Where do you shop? I don't think that makes a huge difference tbh, unless it's at Harrods!! we used to shop at Waitrose and spent about the same, because there were not as many extra non food items to be tempted by!! smile

CanonFodder Sat 08-Dec-12 16:25:57

We are a family of 4 and spend £175 a week which covers food, petrol for two cars and extras, and we often still have some left over.
Food shop includes all toiletries, often extra little bits of clothes eg pants and socks/ hair bobbles, wellies for the kids and about once a month a DVD for the kids and one for us. (usually from the£3 section) with popcorn and snacks for family movie night. Oh and the food Includes lunch for DH, ds and I every day too. We eat quality food, mostly home cooked and have the occasional bottle of wine or beer.
Eminently doable IMO. You must be eating steak every night to spend the months budget in 2weeks! grin

AcidTurkishBath Sat 08-Dec-12 16:22:09

You spend £350 a week on food and wine? I'd say that was extravagant. Where do you shop that is so expensive?

CogitOCrapNotMoreSprouts Sat 08-Dec-12 16:20:33

That should be plenty to go at with a bit of meal-planning, taking advantage of special offers and choosing inexpensive ingredients. Home-cook rather than use prepared foods. Eat out less. Drink less wine. As you have teenagers, keep copious amounts of dirt-cheap things like bread, bananas and apples for them to snack on.... saves them nibbling through the expensive stuff!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now