Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional insurance of anyone posting on Mumsnet and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Late Filing Fee from Companies House.

(6 Posts)
TalkinPeace2 Sun 16-Dec-12 18:12:23

the ixbrl rules are now so oneous that EVERYBODY who has a limited company should use an accountant

Pisces Fri 14-Dec-12 23:26:52

Sorry, another question. Are you filing these accounts yourself? Do you know how to present and do Statutory accounts? Do you have an accountant? There are many legal requirements in the presentation of accounts and you may find, if you do not know what you are really doing, that they reject your accounts and you will end up with even more fines.

Pisces Fri 14-Dec-12 23:24:09

You could ask them to pay in instalments, they should agree to that.

You say that you filed "zero" accounts. Is this because the company was not trading? There is a form you can fill in which specifies that the company is not trading and is in fact dormant or the fact that is has not traded at all. Sometimes people open up companies and do not use them.

CheshireDing Fri 14-Dec-12 23:18:47

I think what happened (because it's a while ago and lots has been going on) is that I forgot about the first letter, then got a penalty and tried to sort it - then I had the problems with having a Mac computer etc.

They emailed me today basically saying tough (again) and that they will not reduce it and that I must file them on time next time.

It seems they are not even willing to look at a reduction, which I do think is harsh. It's a lot of money sad

I am now wondering when the soonest is I can lodge the next accounts, because it's unlikely much is going to change before then financial-wise but they will still probably have computer compatibility problems.

TalkinPeace2 Sat 08-Dec-12 17:27:52

£400 is three months late - ie over a year after the end of the accounting period .....
why did you not do it earlier - or contact them earlier?

CheshireDing Fri 07-Dec-12 19:56:16

I received an invoice from Companies House because I had completed my accounts late.

I explained to them on email the reasons - the system kept asking me for an authorisation code as it didn't recognise my login details, I had to submit a request twice because I never received the first requested code, then because we use a Mac they had to give me further information as it's not compatible with their system. I have a new baby and drive nearly 50 miles each way to work every day so hence have little time (which is why I started completing it late).

They basically said tough and have fined me nearly £400, which is more than is in my company account (as it's a new company).

So I have a £400 bill to file zero accounts.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to whether I can get them to at least reduce it a little? I just don't even know how I am going to pay it sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now