Mumsnet has not checked the knowledge, experience or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious legal concerns, we would suggest you consult a lawyer.

Law without the hours? Possible?

(27 Posts)
FolkLaw Fri 19-Apr-13 22:12:51

Just hoping for some career advice. I'm completing my law degree and need to decide what next.

Basically, I'm a hard worker, focused, ambitious etc. but the reality is I don't want to be chained to my desk til 2am regularly. I want my weekends and I want to be able to see my DC. I'm not looking for part time and of course, like any job, I expect there to be times when I have to work late/take stuff home. I'd just want that to be the exception.

Does anyone have recommendations for working contracted hours? (I realise that training contracts are hard to come by in every field of law.)

Mendi Thu 25-Apr-13 16:35:31

I'm a commercial litigator bicycle. As I say, there are times when I'm at work late but it's infrequent.

Having said that, I'll be in this Sunday as I have suddenly got really really busy. I think being flexible is the key. If I absolutely HAD to be out the door every day at 6, it would be a problem.

Mendi Thu 25-Apr-13 16:50:33

I'm a commercial litigator bicycle. As I say, there are times when I'm at work late but it's infrequent.

Having said that, I'll be in this Sunday as I have suddenly got really really busy. I think being flexible is the key. If I absolutely HAD to be out the door every day at 6, it would be a problem.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now