Heatherwood hospital referral low progesterone

(4 Posts)
princesssunshine Sun 13-Apr-14 18:53:01

hi everyone. I'm new here. We've been trying for a baby for about 15 months now, no luck. I went to the docs, had a 21 day blood test and this came back as 'no signs of ovulation' and a level of 12 progesterone. I have been referred to Heatherwood hospital clinic at the beginning of May.
Is this a really low level of progesterone, why would that be?
What happens when I go to the clinic, will I be prescribed clomid to stimulate ovaries or will they give me more tests? Anyone been in the same position that has gone to Heatherwood?
Look forward to meeting a few of you on here. I'm a bit gutted to be fair. Why can't life be simple? x

jessplussomeonenew Sun 13-Apr-14 19:29:47

Progesterone is produced after ovulation in the second part of your cycle by the part of the ovary that the egg emerges from. I think a level of >30 is normally considered evidence of ovulation. There are lots of things your results could mean, including that the test wasn't done at the right point in your cycle (7 days past ovulation) which can easily happen if you have irregular cycles. Or it could mean you didn't ovulate that cycle - which could reveal a problem that needs to be treated (e.g. by clomid) - but that's not necessarily the case because it's quite common for women to occasionally miss a cycle.

You should probably have the test done again (to see if it was the wrong timing or a skipped month) before starting treatment but the clinic will advise you. Have you had other tests done, eg sperm analysis and day 3 bloods (LH/FSH) as these are helpful to build up a full picture?

princesssunshine Sun 13-Apr-14 21:31:01

Hi - no other tests were done. My cycles are pretty regular, but only bleed for about 2-3 days. This was done on CD21. Yeah, waiting to see what they say at the clinic. All a bit confusing as the doctor didn't really say much other than there were no signs of ovulation.

jessplussomeonenew Mon 14-Apr-14 08:51:02

If at all possible I'd try to get at least a sperm analysis done by your gp before you go to the clinic as it will save time; they need to investigate both of you before treatment starts (no point making sure you're releasing eggs if they don't also make sure there are healthy sperm to fertilise them!) and they often like to do a second SA 3 months later if the first one isn't great (for us they recommended some supplements that made a real difference by the second sample). Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now