IVF/ICSI in South Wales

(7 Posts)
happylass Fri 04-Apr-14 16:57:17

Hi. Yesterday we were told we're being referred for ICSI on the NHS. We were also told the waiting list here in South Wales is 12-18 months. Just wondering what other people's experience of the waiting list is? Is it closer to 12 months or more likely to be 18 (or more? shock). Also we've pretty much decided that we are going to have one private cycle whilst we wait. We've already been to an open evening in CRGW. Would be interested to hear experiences of this and other private clinics in the area. Many thanks.

carriebella Fri 04-Apr-14 19:03:13

Hi, I have no idea about NHS waiting times as I never qualified but I am currently cycling at CRGW and they have been great so far, although i'm still only down-regging i've found all the staff very friendly and helpful. I had all my tests at another clinic on the NHS but have found CRGW much more welcoming.

DrSocks Fri 04-Apr-14 20:23:47

Hi Happy. I can't shed too much light on the whole waiting list situation but I thought I'd share our experiences. We've found the process unbelievably slow. I first went to the FC in Nov 12, it took til Sept 13 to work out what was up (issues on both sides). Was packed off with a trial of Clomid, failed miserably and went back for follow up in November at which point they said DH then needed to take vits for 3m and then they would do a new SA. He did that and we had to wait for the next appointment before we get actually put on the bloody waiting list, that appt is in 2 weeks.

In the meantime we went to CRGW, who did a scan which showed my ovaries weren't as knackered as the NHS consultant suggested. They did a proper monitored cycle of clomid with scans, oestrogen support and a trigger shot on which I ovulated. I didn't get a BFP but feel its worth trying a few more goes whilst we wait for our NHS ivf, which as we are moving to England in the summer in an area with SIX WEEK wait, won't be too long. I can't recommend CRGW highly enough, I have literally wept with relief at their professional, personal and optimistic attitude. If we weren't likely to get our NHS IVF in the near future I would sell all my worldly belongings to have it there.

Let me know if there's anything else you want to know.

Dreamy33 Fri 04-Apr-14 20:33:03

Just typed a long post and then lost it so apologies for this short one, I can't face writing it all again!!

We have been on waiting list at IVF Wales for 12 months. Been for one appointment and was told it's likely to be the full 18 months before we hear more.

In meantime, we've been to LWC and found them to be fine. They were happy to accept nhs test results which saved us a good bit of money.

Good luck x

happylass Sat 05-Apr-14 07:07:44

Thanks ladies. Great to hear such positive things about CRGW. Dreamy can I ask what your first NHS appointment was for if you still have another 6 month wait before starting?
Drsocks I'm outraged at the difference in waiting times between here and England. It's an embarrassment and I'm definitely writing to the WAG to complain. Someone on my conception forum from Gloucester had her first appointment at the FC in the same week as me back in September. She's already had her NHS ICSI and is currently about 14 weeks pg whereas I'm not even on the shockingly long list yet angry

Dreamy33 Sat 05-Apr-14 12:27:20

Our appointment at ivf Wales was a little disappointing having waited so long for it! We reviewed all test results and dr confirmed that ivf was the best way forward ( I thought we'd established that a while back when I was referred but apparently we might have been advised to try iui first). She explained that I would need my amh levels tested (something we'd already done privately) and we could either have them done there and then or wait until we are contacted again in about 6months and have it done then. Well because we'd waited so long for this five minute consultation, I was determined to do something so had blood test on that day. Called for results but they are unable to discuss results on ohone so was advised to make another appointment. That's when we made the decision to go private!!

Hope this helps. Let me know if you'd like to find out anything else. I know I always like to be prepared for the next step!
X

happylass Sun 06-Apr-14 09:11:59

That does sound like a waste of time Dreamy. I'm guessing they just get you in to make it look like something is happening. I've already had my AMH done on the NHS. We were told that the rules have recently changed and all blood work has to be done before the referral can be made. Fortunately we are both getting those bloods done tomorrow so hopefully it won't be too long before we get on the list. We get married in August so I think we'll aim to start a private cycle as soon as we get back from honeymoon.
Wishing everyone good luck x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now