Last chance ivf short protocol

(92 Posts)
Scoops76 Sun 01-Sep-13 22:40:24

My hubby and I are just starting our 3rd ivf cycle (1st 2 failed) and our first cycle of short protocol. Anyone else going through the same thing? Thought I would share my symptoms / stories so far.
Currently on day 7 and off for my first scan tomorrow to see if it is working - will update as I go ;)

Scoops76 Wed 11-Sep-13 12:03:43

8fertilised is great news!! We are waiting for a call tomorrow to tell us how many of ours are still viable and then either transfer tomorrow or sat. It is nerve racking as with our last attempts we went from 9 fertilised to only three viable on day 3 but the eggs were poorer quality so just hoping this time they hang in there!! How are you feeling after ec?

RaspberrySnowCone Wed 11-Sep-13 12:07:06

Everything crossed for you scoops. That's my next worry, that none will be viable to go back in.

Don't feel to bad, just scatty as hell. Started on the cyclogest pessaries this morning, what joy!

Scoops76 Wed 11-Sep-13 20:29:50

I know think I prefer the injections to the pesseries but all for a good cause - ;)

Scoops76 Thu 12-Sep-13 10:07:42

Well here is the scoops embryo news - 5 good quality (in cycles 1 and 2 didn't get any this good) and the rest ok but starting to fragment!! Waiting for day 5 transfer on sat whoop whoop one step closer x

RaspberrySnowCone Thu 12-Sep-13 11:25:28

Excellent news scoops! Getting very nervous to ear about mine. Back at clinic today to check if this blummin uterus fluid has gone.

Scoops76 Thu 12-Sep-13 18:56:45

Fingers crossed all ok raspberry is it tomorrow you hear about your little embryos? If so good luck cxx

RaspberrySnowCone Thu 12-Sep-13 19:20:40

Yep it's tomorrow. I can ring at 930 am smile another nerve wracking night though....

Scoops76 Fri 13-Sep-13 07:51:22

Thinking of you this morning raspberry everything crossed for lots of embryos xxxx

RaspberrySnowCone Fri 13-Sep-13 08:29:07

Thanks Scoops, trying to keep myself distracted until 9.30...... going to clean the kitchen a bit I think. I'm still massively bloated from EC on Tuesday, are you?

RaspberrySnowCone Fri 13-Sep-13 12:13:41

all 8 are growing well. Looks like we are on for Sunday.

How are you feeling about tomorrow?

Scoops76 Fri 13-Sep-13 15:19:33

Yep still bloated!! Hopefully will have a fat belly for a while ;) all 8 doing well is great news hopefully that means they will have some to freeze too. Am ok about tomorrow -irrationally worried they are going to call and say they all died ;( now just have to get ready for the fight to have two put back as apparently the Nhs won't put two back at day 5 !! They told me a consultant has to sign off on it and I said there had better be a consultant there tomorrow then!!! Never trifle with a hormonal woman on a mission!!!

RaspberrySnowCone Fri 13-Sep-13 18:26:19

I'm having the same worry Scoops, but I'm hoping that out of 8 there will be at least 1 left. You had 5 didn't you so I'm sure you will have plenty to work with. We've decided this evening to go with 1 at transfer. Having looked at and considered what the Dr said, if its a good embryo that they've managed to get to blast putting two back doesn't double your chances of any pregnancy, jut your chances of twins and realistically, health wise I don't think I could physically cope with twins!

Good luck for tomorrow! I will feel much better when I have one back on board, it feels very odd owning 8 potentially little lives and them being in a fridge in another part of the country. What time are you on tomorrow?

Scoops76 Fri 13-Sep-13 20:18:22

It is the oddest feeling isn't it? We are going with two as this is our third round and or last on Nhs and we just would never be able to afford to pay for it! And I would love twins (although no idea how I would cope if it actually happens) fingers crossed for us both xxx

RaspberrySnowCone Fri 13-Sep-13 23:42:46

It is indeed a weird feeling, I don't like it much but if it means a better chance then ill put up with it smile

We're NHS too but have been given the option which is odd, a couple of people have told me today that NHS patients only get to put one back. Perhaps my clinic haven't realised that I'm NHS. Either way we were going for one. I'm hoping we can get some frosties, ICSI is £5k plus for a fresh cycle but FET is around £1500/£2k so we could afford one or two. To be honest I don't think I could go through all this again, it's been an emotional rollercoaster that's for sure.

Twins are always said to be high risk but lots of people have them without long term issues, I think the pregnancy is probably tough but two babies is better than no babies!

KnackeredCow Sat 14-Sep-13 07:05:50

Just wanted to wish you both the very best for your ETs.

Whether the NHS will "allow" you to put more than one embryo back probably depends on the funding criteria that is set in your local area. Clinical judgment should be a consideration too. Although on your first round it might be quite prescriptive (eg a SET if blasts are achieved), after a failed round a DET is more likely to be considered. The embryologist usually wants to consider quality of blastocysts etc too.

Hope all goes well and your embies are safely on board soon. smile

Scoops76 Sat 14-Sep-13 09:58:02

Thanks both I understand why they prefer to put one back but by round three I think I am clutching at straws a bit - that and they put two back on both our other rounds - anyway had the call from the embryologist and here is the news:
1 brilliant quality blastocyst
3 have arrested
5 others almost at blastocyst one of which is further ahead than others
So embryologist has agreed we need to put the two best quality ones back now just have to have a lecture (embryologists words!!) from the consultant about the risk of multiples as consultant has to sign off as outside policy!! It is amazing to me we have so many doing well when our last two rounds the quality was rubbish - they even think we should have some to freeze (find that out tomorrow) off to drink a ridiculous amount of water and drive to the clinic - wish me luck - two week wait here I come ;)

RaspberrySnowCone Sat 14-Sep-13 14:33:31

Woo, fab news! So exciting and if two is what the Drs recommend then go for it. It's their responsibility to lecture on multiples, as long as you've taken it on board which you have then it's full steam ahead. When will your OTD be?

Scoops76 Sat 14-Sep-13 15:20:28

Well all done and two little peanuts put back ;) consultant showed me the quality one really good one definitely not as good and not the next best one - his reasoning being they have another good one which they can check tomorrow and hopefully freeze. He did also tell us that the chances of Avignon identical twins is a lot higher on day 5 transfer than day 3 or naturally - so could have triplets onboard!!! Testing date is 1st oct but very unlikely I will be able to wait that long xx raspberry good luck tomorrow . Knackered - did you have two put back for your twins?

RaspberrySnowCone Sat 14-Sep-13 16:31:17

Well done Scoops. I've actually just been reading something that says about the increased chance of identical twins with a blast! Feeling hugely anxious now, not so much about tomorrow but the tww and if it doesn't work. I know I should relax and take it as it comes but really struggling and tonight is going to be a long night!

You take it easy though and enjoy having your little fellas on board!

KnackeredCow Sat 14-Sep-13 19:20:59

So glad to hear the ET went smoothly, Scoops.

Good luck for tomorrow, Raspberry.

Yes, I had a DET. On my second fresh IVF (BFN) and my third fresh IVF (BFP x 2 grin).

In the morning of my final cycle, I had one excellent blast, one good and two not quite there. By the time I got to clinic, the two blasts were both classified as excellent so they were transferred. The other two were cultured on for another day and eventually made two good blastocysts, which have been frozen.

Non-identical twinning is about 1 in 100 IVF pregnancies as opposed to 3 in 1000 natural pregnancies.

When I had my first scan at 7wks 1 day they easily identified two embryos, but there was a shadow on the ultrasound so I had to go back at 8wks 5 days for a repeat to check it wasn't triplets. To our absolute relief, it wasn't. grin

RaspberrySnowCone Sat 14-Sep-13 19:32:30

Triplets Blimey that really would be a handful, that's more hands than you have....

Scoops76 Sat 14-Sep-13 20:44:51

Omg now triplets would really scare me!! Thanks for sharing your experience really gives me hope we will be successful this time. Raspberry - th tww is the worst bit we just have to try not to stress and hope the little boys/girls do their thing x

RaspberrySnowCone Sun 15-Sep-13 11:54:52

1 on board, really good quality, 3 good quality in the freezer and two that they are watching over night but might make it to freezer too, the doc wasn't convinced they would but I'm really pleased with the quality of the one they put in and those that are in the freezer.

We got to see ours before it went in too, didn't realise they did that, it was amazing.

Scoops76 Sun 15-Sep-13 17:57:22

Wow fantastic news raspberry fingers crossed for you x we found out okay that the rest of ours arrested overnight so no frozen ones - makes me worry about the ones they put back yesterday too (I do accept this is completely irrational ) sending sticky thoughts xx

RaspberrySnowCone Sun 15-Sep-13 18:00:03

Oh no scoops that's a shame, I'm sorry. But, the ones they put in are living in better housing than the ones that were in the fridge, I'm sure they are getting snug smile

My OTD isn't until 4 October! Ages......we will have to kill the time together...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now