The hut of gl/doom: ttc with the emphasis on trying!

(976 Posts)
delilahbelle Thu 06-Sep-12 13:34:03

A supportive and slightly fluffy thread for those dealing with the issues of ttc longterm, whether with assisted fertility or not.

flixy102 Sun 17-Feb-13 10:44:45

I think it's the 'abstaining from sexual activity beforehand' bit my DH isn't looking forward to dusty, lol.

I was at a baby shower last night, it wasn't as bad as I thought but I'm still broody and sad that it might never happen for us. hmm

ChairOfTheBored Mon 18-Feb-13 10:54:34

Morning all.

Sorry, I've been a a bit flakey on the old MN recently. Is good to see the postiive news. I had the HSG a few weeks ago, which was fine in terms of pain and whatnot, but the gynae was a bit abrupt with the results. "Your tubes are blocked. You need IVF".

I have been in bits to be honest, it was all so sudden - from wondering if we were just 'that coulple' that took a bit longer than the rest, to being told it could never happen 'naturally' and the massive side order of guilt I seemd to feel as a result. Especially as I'd never had an STI, or any history of infection. It was just a bit too much.

Fast forward to today, and the consultant appointment I though would be a first step in referal. The new consultant's view was that the HSG was inconclusive, the 'block'in my tubes could have been caused by being tense during the HSG itself (can't imagine why?!) and that with my blood tests seeming to indicate border line PCOS he suggested a lap, with ovarian drilling.

So more positive, but now a wee bit puzzling. I'm pleased we have more options, but having resigned ourselves to one thing, am a bit floored by the sudden change.

Sorry, that was very long. It's just theraputic to write it all down I think.

pinkapples Mon 18-Feb-13 11:38:16

Awww chair sorry to hear that hope alls starting to settle down now as much as it can I guess

I had the lap and drilling its not that bad a bit sore for a couple of days but apart from that although if you can do the IVF I think I'd be more inclined to go for that (if you are funded/can afford it) but I'm a bit biased as the lap didn't work for me but there are people that it works for grin

Just relax and do what you feel you can cope with and just think it will happen this year

ChairOfTheBored Tue 19-Feb-13 09:17:48

Thanks Pink, and sorry it didn't work for you - but you are my inspiration that sticking at it, and putting up with all of this can be worth it in the end!

DH and I had a big chat last night, and while I am pretty scared of the GA I think we are going to give the Lap and drilling a go, as at the moment we don't even know why my tubes are broken, so it might be good to find out if there's anything wrong, before going for IVF, just in case it's anything that could affect a pregnancy.

On a related note, we have some health insurance, which might cover the op, but won't cover IVF. Does anyone know whether opting to have the Lap privately would affect any future NHS funding/treatment for IVF? The wait isn't too long, but I kind of feel like if we can have the op funded privately it would be better to do than to take NHS resources from someone without insurance, if that makes sense? Probably not - I've discovered I'm not especially rational when it comes tothis TT jeffing well C lark.

flixy102 Wed 20-Feb-13 09:50:18

Hi chair, sorry you're going through all this, it's utterly utterly crap isn't it. hmm I'm having a mix of nhs and private treatment at the moment, I hadn't thought if it would affect any future ivf opportunities.
I had my bloods, urine, dildocam and semen analysis privately but having the HSG on the NHS as apparently the waiting times here aren't too bad. I was kinda wondering if I'm put on clomid (which I think is where I'm headed) will that be private or nhs cos we couldn't afford to do it privately I wouldn't imagine. sad

ChairOfTheBored Wed 20-Feb-13 17:57:49

Flixy - it's so confusing isn't it, and yes, completely crappy.

At least our insurance company resolved one dilema for me - they don't cover treatment for (in?)fertility, only diagnostic proceedures, so I'll be sticking with the NHS. To be fair, they've been very good so far, and it's likely to be the same surgeon either way, so I just have to hope the waiting list isn't too long, but is at least long enough for me to get over my current panic at the prospect of the GA.

I hope your HSG goes OK - mine wasn't too bad at all, certianly not as bad as I'd feared - plus as the very notion of it made DH queasy, he was very dutiful in looking after me for the rest of the day!

flixy102 Wed 20-Feb-13 18:18:55

No our insurance company don't cover infertility issues either, I don't have periods tho so my doc just said to tell them that any tests I had were to investigate that. wink

Don't think my DH really understands it all, although I'll definitely be looking sympathy after the HSG!!

delilahbelle Thu 21-Feb-13 14:33:06

Well, I'm back in the hut sad Heavy bleeding and cramping started today.

I just want to get this miscarriage crap out the way and then forget about TTC, I can't see myself ever becoming a mum.

flixy102 Thu 21-Feb-13 16:30:12

Delilah sad I'm so so sorry, words really aren't enough right now but the hut is here if you need to offload.

pinkapples Thu 21-Feb-13 19:54:24

Oh Delilah sadsadsadsadsadsad

I'm so sorry like flixy said the hut is here if you need us, have you seen anyone?

waitingtobeamummy Thu 21-Feb-13 22:04:30

So so sorry delilah. Cannot possibly imagine how this must feel for you. Look after yourself x

flixy102 Fri 22-Feb-13 14:23:15

DH got his SA results back-all normal smile. Was a tad concerned with 8% normal morphology but apparently normal is 4% so he's flying.

It's just me that's broken then hmm

waitingtobeamummy Fri 22-Feb-13 20:46:14

Hi all,
Just want to let you all know that I've been quite poorly over the past few weeks. The dr's think I've got depression. Dh and I haven't been doing well with how obsessed/down I've got. My mom dad and dh have spoken to me about it all and we're going to stop the fertility treatment for the foreseeable future. It's making me very poorly and making our relationship suffer. I'm going to get myself better and get our relationship back on track and then we will look at adoption. I'll still pop on to see how people are doing but for now I need to concentrate on myself.
I hope you all get everything you dream of.
Waiting
X x x

pinkapples Sat 23-Feb-13 07:45:55

Awww waiting sorry to hear your not well buy its good that you've decided to focus on yourself and we'll be here waiting for you when your ready grin

Flixy that's probably the best outcome as there are lots that you can do if it was him with a problem there are only limited options so good news id say grin

Dusty27 Sat 23-Feb-13 08:56:03

I'm so sorry Delilah xxxxxxx

Waiting I think it's a brave thing to do. Concentrate on yourself & feeling stronger. Best wishes for when you're ready for adoption. Xxxxx

delilahbelle Sat 23-Feb-13 11:03:08

Would you believe that despite several huge gushes of blood and cramps I'm still pregnant? Was scanned yesterday and diagnosed with a subchorionic heamatoma, which probably explains all the other spotting/bleeding I've been having so far as well. I'm still at an increased risk of miscarriage with this though.

We also saw TWO perfect heartbeats, with gestational sacks measuring the right size.

shock

Just goes to show, bleeding and cramps doesn't always mean the end, I never thought I would be one of those people that bleed in pregnancy and it was fine but it seems I am...

Thanks for all the support thanks thanks thanks

delilahbelle Sat 23-Feb-13 11:05:25

waiting Sorry I didn't see your post before I added mine. Take as much time as you need to get your head in the right place, maybe book a nice holiday or two, and we will be hear if you need to vent.

flixy some good news then? It's always better to have stuff that doesn't need fixing, and now you know that you wont need ICSI if you go the IVF route.

pinkapples Sat 23-Feb-13 15:34:10

Woohoo for you Delilah and 2 sacs!! Omg congrats you must be thrilled x

Dusty27 Sat 23-Feb-13 15:44:02

Oh Delilah that's fabulous news! Delighted for you xxx

flixy102 Sat 23-Feb-13 17:10:29

Woo hoo Delilah! grin I'm so happy for you!

waitingtobeamummy Sun 24-Feb-13 11:28:43

No its fine delilah. You must feel very happy.

HavingALittleFaithBaby Sun 24-Feb-13 15:55:38

Take care of yourself waiting. You've had a hell of a journey over the last few years. It sounds like the time out will be helpful before you decide how to proceed. Do keep popping in to let us know how you are.

chair sounds a bit confusing but a GA is relatively low risk and probsbly worth doing before you pursue IVF.

flixy what's happening with your treatment now?

flixy102 Sun 24-Feb-13 17:05:47

Waiting you have to think of yourself and you're absolutely right to take time out to do that. The hut will still be here when your ready smile

Faith I'm waiting on a date for my HSG, then if all is clear it'll be clomid. My prolactin is at a normal level now (it was a bit of a red herring as to why I was having no periods) so the pcos will be what I'm treated for.

Dusty27 Mon 25-Feb-13 11:21:56

So had my 1st blood test today. Results in a week. Fingers crossed for good news.

bunnygoesbang Mon 25-Feb-13 18:01:28

Hello all I'm back if any of you still remember me. Was glad to see some names I know but then realised I wasn't as this meant no bfp

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now