Missing Malaysia Airlines MH370 - Thread 5

(976 Posts)
KenAdams Fri 21-Mar-14 01:20:02
Hissy Fri 21-Mar-14 01:23:24

Thanks Ken! Wonder if today's the day we find the plane.

traininthedistance Fri 21-Mar-14 01:33:20

Marking place on this one...

KenAdams Fri 21-Mar-14 01:34:07

If this debris is it then maybe. My guess is that it isn't though.

I think everyone knows more than they are letting on though and it's only a matter of time before other countries start to lose it with Malaysia. Their handling of the situation is getting worse by the day.

corduroyslacks Fri 21-Mar-14 01:47:35

Following.

GarlicMarchHare Fri 21-Mar-14 01:56:58

Place marking - with known co-ordinates wink

Monty27 Fri 21-Mar-14 02:14:30

Very weird situation

Has the 'USA/China/other well-resourced intelligence and security outfits got the capacity to remotely commandeer/hack and redirect a hijacked/hypoxic/erratic Boeing into the sea' theory been discussed on any if the other MN threads?

Because I missed it if so.

Tia

trixymalixy Fri 21-Mar-14 04:43:28

Let's hope this is the last thread and the plane is found today.

Rosa Fri 21-Mar-14 06:09:39

Marking place

TheHoneyBadger Fri 21-Mar-14 06:10:03

i think it's been touched upon trucks. would be thread two or three.

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Fri 21-Mar-14 06:10:03

Has the 'USA/China/other well-resourced intelligence and security outfits got the capacity to remotely commandeer/hack and redirect a hijacked/hypoxic/erratic Boeing into the sea' theory been discussed on any if the other MN threads

^^ no, this hasn't been discussed, general cyber hijacking has a bit.

But why fly the plane so far before crashing it in this instance?

TheHoneyBadger Fri 21-Mar-14 06:11:08

if it was just turned doctrine then it would just fly till it ran out of fuel.

livingzuid Fri 21-Mar-14 06:13:00

Waking up to no news still sad another merchant ship due to arrive by the evening. The Guardian had this interesting snippet:

'A lingering question that remains about the way this operation has unfolded is how the DigitalGlobe satellite came to be tasked in that particular area the Indian Ocean on 16 March. Here’s an explanation as to how the process could have worked from Chris Rizos, a professor of geodesy and navigation at the University of New South Wales:

DigitalGlobe have several satellites and they have the highest accuracy in terms of pixels of any commercial satellite imaging system. They’re basically spy satellites. They would be typically tasked to do work on land, and so it’s a little unusual to do it on the ocean, unless they’ve done it off their own bat or if a government has asked them to do it.

That analysis is supported by an industry representative in the spatial and remote sensing profession, who outlined in greater detail how the process would have unfolded with DigitalGlobe. The key part is in bold:

Most of the high image satellites operators are commercial. They are satellites that continuously orbit the earth at a low orbit, about 350 - 500km above the earth. They have basically two ways of collecting images. One is large contracts that they secure through governments mainly. The second way is through resellers.

What DigitalGlobe has done is cottoned on to the search area on the 16th. They wouldn’t be capturing that area without a good reason.

The industry representative then walked through how the information would have ended up being passed to Australia:

What would have happened is that the image would have been passed through the chain of command and that would have gone from DigitalGlobe to the department of defence in the US and then would have been passed to Australia. The process they would use is simply to open it up and do a visual check pixel by pixel to see what shouldn’t be there.'

livingzuid Fri 21-Mar-14 06:17:45

I see Tony Abbot is getting flack for releasing the news about the pictures saying the relatives have a right to know. Is it better to give them snippets or the whole picture? I'm torn both ways as one could give false hope but the other then is agonising?

Also I wondered about the ACARS and the other system shutting down. If there was some sort of failure wouldn't an alarm go off? I think this was mentioned way back when but I too can't get my head around the fact that there was clear communication after the systems had shut down and nothing was mentioned.

Also same for a hull breach - would there not be a warning? So you try to get the plane down in some shape or form as fast as possible?

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Fri 21-Mar-14 06:23:58

Honey, if it was a remotely triggered switch to prevent terrorists, then in many places flying till you ran out of fuel could leave you over land and still dangerous. If there were such a thing I think it would do more than turn a plane.

meditrina Fri 21-Mar-14 06:24:00

Some incidents which cause hypoxia do have alarms (smoke, pressure change from breach).

meditrina Fri 21-Mar-14 06:25:38

"If there were such a thing I think it would do more than turn a plane."

That assumes a full capability; it could be prototype.

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Fri 21-Mar-14 06:33:22

Medi, I am talking about Trucks's theory that a major government had already put a kill switch in all planes to counter terrorism.

meditrina Fri 21-Mar-14 06:51:26

Sorry, I'll, leave you to it.

LouSend Fri 21-Mar-14 07:07:20

Here's the bbc live feed for today, if anyone's interested.

Bakingnovice Fri 21-Mar-14 07:08:19

It's strange that they can't find the debris now. I hope they find something today, so the families can get some closure.

I stand by what I said in the first thread - someone somewhere (yes I mean you US and maybe china) are hiding something....

livingzuid Fri 21-Mar-14 07:15:57

baking the debris could have moved hundreds of miles by now from the first pictures. It's going to take several days apparently.

slugseatlettuce Fri 21-Mar-14 07:16:38

Some of these theories are getting a bit complicated now. I think it's where they are looking, Possibly a pilot suicide or Hypoxia.

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Fri 21-Mar-14 07:17:28

Baking, the pictures are a few days old and things can move 24 miles in a day, plus the weather has been very bad for air surveillance and the planes can only stay out for two hours at a time.

And the items may have sunk by now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now