Child marriage

(358 Posts)
FruityPops Mon 07-Oct-13 12:20:15

Why are so many imams in the UK willing to force fourteen year old girls to marry against their wishes? Don't ordinary muslims know what's going on?

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2447720/Clerics-18-mosques-caught-agreeing-marry-girls-14-Four-imams-investigated-undercover-operation.html

YouTheCat Mon 07-Oct-13 12:40:48

So, Fruity, only Muslim girls will be raped and we have the power to stop all of that happening?

How?

YouTheCat Mon 07-Oct-13 12:41:46

I love how these threads start and then the OP always comes over all concerned for the 'poor Muslims'. Such a sham.

FruityPops Mon 07-Oct-13 12:42:02

Hubb - people are consenting to their daughters being forced into child marriage in the UK, therefore, people know about it!

BlingBang Mon 07-Oct-13 12:42:35

I don't think this common to all Muslims in the UK at all. But there are some sections where it is accepted and it is cultural, these girls are being let down. My friend was 17 or 18, in a foreign country (Pakistan) to marry an older man. She asked her mum not to leave her on her wedding night as she was scared and was told to get on with it. She had little choice and zero support.

Hubb Mon 07-Oct-13 12:42:38

Speak out but don't make out like we all know what's going on but don't challenge it.

FlapJackOLantern Mon 07-Oct-13 12:43:40

What about child abuse in the church - surely "ordinary Christians" should have known?

I don't think their parents/sibling/friends were actually complicit, do you Trapper ?

FruityPops Mon 07-Oct-13 12:43:54

Cat - They are girls who are being abused. Can you not see that? Why should we not mention it? If more people are aware of it, it will be easier to stop it.

nennypops Mon 07-Oct-13 12:44:17

Fruity: as I pointed out, you are taking every word of a Daily Mail report as gospel truth. Always a massive mistake.

I share Fuzzy's and YouTheCat's concerns about the number of threads that have been started lately which seem to have a racist and/or anti-Islam agenda.

Hubb Mon 07-Oct-13 12:45:31

Some people know about it yes...what's your point? The rest of us bloody don't.

As youthecat says, how do we stop it then?

gordyslovesheep Mon 07-Oct-13 12:46:25

Oh a mildly hysterical thread about Muslims ...what a change.

It's not okay, its illegal, its not endemic, its not all Muslims, not every will be aware of it ...

Hubb Mon 07-Oct-13 12:46:27

Fruity no one is saying don't mention it

FruityPops Mon 07-Oct-13 12:47:05

nennypops - how is it racist or islamophobic to express concern about forced child marriage and rape?

YouTheCat Mon 07-Oct-13 12:48:19

Society in general should be operating a zero tolerance attitude to all abuse - sadly it doesn't.

Hubb Mon 07-Oct-13 12:48:25

"Don't ordinary muslims know what's going on" please explain your point OP

FlapJackOLantern Mon 07-Oct-13 12:50:24

Don't ordinary muslims know what's going on please explain your point OP

You know, like friends, parents, brothers, sisters - ordinary Muslims.

FruityPops Mon 07-Oct-13 12:50:53

Hubb - some muslims must wonder why underage brides are turning up in their communities, and other muslims must realise that girls are disappearing from theirs. It's not rocket science!

Tweasels Mon 07-Oct-13 12:50:59

Another thread that looks like it's been written by the DM.

crescentmoon Mon 07-Oct-13 12:51:04

The pressure of Underage sex is far more of an issue across all communities in the UK than the pressure of underage marriage.

gordyslovesheep Mon 07-Oct-13 12:51:23

Exactly what youthecat said ...all abuse is wrong.

crescentmoon Mon 07-Oct-13 12:52:34

And I wrote 'across ALL communities', underage marriage in british 21st century muslim society generation is virtually unheard of.

FruityPops Mon 07-Oct-13 12:53:59

crescentmoon - You should be teaching your children that no one should be pressuring them into underage sex, just like you should not be forcing them into under age marriage and rape.

Hubb Mon 07-Oct-13 12:54:51

I live in one of the biggest muslim communities in the UK and as I said have never heard of anything like this. So yes some people do know but it's not well known in general which is what the OP and a couple of first posters hint.

fairy1303 Mon 07-Oct-13 12:55:08

fruity it's not islamaphobic to be concerned about child abuse - it's islamaphobic that once again this is the daily fascist spreading yet more one sided anti Islam stuff making out that this is an endemic issue - child abuse of course is not ok - but it is not anything to do with religion

YouTheCat Mon 07-Oct-13 12:55:11

I wasn't aware that crescentmoon, was forcing her children into underage marriages or underage sex? What an odd thing to say. confused

FruityPops Mon 07-Oct-13 12:56:33

Cat - I was speaking of the responsibilities of parents in general - not just crescent.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now