What on EARTH happened in Kenya :-(??

(199 Posts)

Save us all from fanatics sadangry.

I am quite fanatically against extremists of all colours/faiths/nationalities.

What can go on in their heads when they plan an attack like this? Are they hoping to win support? Do they truly believe that atrocious acts like this wins a place in paradise?? Really?

I despair sometimes sad.

caramelwaffle Sat 21-Sep-13 14:16:35

What happened?!

Trouble has been brewing there for a while being exported from nearby countries.

nancy75 Sat 21-Sep-13 14:18:59

News I read this morning said ir was a jewellery shop robbery gone wrong?

ImTooHecsyForYourParty Sat 21-Sep-13 14:20:35

Ive got family there, ill see if they know whats going on

WafflyVersatile Sat 21-Sep-13 14:21:27

Extremists? confused Paradise?

What are you on about?

YoureBeingADick Sat 21-Sep-13 14:27:14

Link? Or at least tell us what you are talking about?

meditrina Sat 21-Sep-13 14:28:35

No-one yet knows of this was a terrorist incident or a violent robbery spinning out of control.

Forthose who haven't seen the news, there's been a mass shooting in a shopping mall in Nairobi - gunmen still in the building, as are an unknown number of staff and customers.

meditrina Sat 21-Sep-13 14:29:39
SilverApples Sat 21-Sep-13 14:29:54

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-24186780

It seems to be a robbery, but do you have additional information about the group that carried out the attack, linked to religious groups?

nancy75 Sat 21-Sep-13 14:30:39

Op is talking about an attack in a shopping centre in Kenya, the news earlier said it was a robbery gone wrong, it has turned in to a hostage situation which sky are now reporting as being motivated by religion rather than robbery. I believe they are saying 15 people have been killed.

partybags Sat 21-Sep-13 14:34:13

For those with friends/family there, it is a raid on the Westgate shopping centre on Westlands, Nairobi.

Grenades were thrown in at around 12 noon local time, and then gunfire broke out. Police are there, and it is now a siege/hostage situation.

Sorry, I lost our WiFi just as I was about to post the link

I may have posted a bit off the cuff and made assumptions re religious motivation, so sorry about that.

This is not an anti-any-religious thread; this is an anti-extremism thread.
And a rant, I suppose.... blush

SilverApples Sat 21-Sep-13 14:36:23

American news say that the attackers have been tentatively identified as Somalian.
Land Pirates?

meditrina Sat 21-Sep-13 14:39:33

The Kenyan Army has conducted operations against al-Shabab across the border into Somalia. So if the attackers are Somali, it doesn't rule in or out either possibility.

ImTooHecsyForYourParty Sat 21-Sep-13 14:39:44

My nephew says people are saying it is al sahbaab

ImTooHecsyForYourParty Sat 21-Sep-13 14:40:09

Typo. Sha not sah

So, was it actually a robbery gone wrong?
Who takes grenades on a robbery??

Why rob a busy shopping centre on a Saturday afternoon? Presumably a particularly populated time?

Xiaoxiong Sat 21-Sep-13 14:44:29

My aunt was on her way there to go shopping this morning. We're still trying to get through to her or anyone else who might know what's going on.

deepfriedsage Sat 21-Sep-13 14:46:55

BBC had nonsense about a castle and sky not worked round to it yet and sport next.

meditrina Sat 21-Sep-13 14:49:11

This report from Reuters has more detail than the BBC. Al-Shabab have threatened to attack this shopping centre, which does make reprisals/terrorism seem likely, but no-one has (yet?) claimed responsibility.

BoreOfWhabylon Sat 21-Sep-13 15:05:45

Watching on Sky now - oh those poor terrified people.

Xiaoxiong I do hope your aunt is safe and that you hear from her soon.

BBC update

I hope you aunt is ok, Xiao

My thoughts are with everybody affected

Xiaoxiong Sat 21-Sep-13 15:11:42

We've just had a missed call from her, but when we try and ring back it won't go through. Hoping this means she's ok and not stuck inside or something. She's going to have about 800 missed calls from all of us when she gets back into range!

My grandfather's in Nairobi too, but I doubt he'd be anywhere near Westgate on a Saturday.

AboutTimeForAChange Sat 21-Sep-13 15:12:24

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now