Westboro Baptist Church.

(117 Posts)

WTAF?? Did I read right?
here
What is the world coming to? This won't end well.

interalia Tue 23-Apr-13 23:24:49

The phrase 'batshit crazy' was invented for them.

They're beyond creepy. It's so awful.

claig Tue 23-Apr-13 23:29:40

They often do this type of thing. I think they are fishy. It is almost as if someone has set them up deliberately in order to give Christians a bad name, and the media often give them publicity too.

interalia Tue 23-Apr-13 23:33:44

What they do is the absolute polar opposite of the Christian message. God doesn't hate gay people - God doesn't hate anyone. That's kind of the point.

claig Tue 23-Apr-13 23:36:17

Exactly. That is why I think they exist and are given publicity, in order to make a mockery of Christianity.

EmpressOfThe7OceansLovesMN Tue 23-Apr-13 23:37:50

I've posted this before but it's still good.

I used to belong to a gay church in London. When Fred Phelps of the Westboro Baptist Church was due to visit London to spread his bile, they went round the local businesses getting them to sponsor him per minute of ranting. The proceeds went to an AIDS charity, who thoroughly appreciated the joke (and the funds) and sent Phelps a thank you letter grin

HazeltheMcWitch Tue 23-Apr-13 23:38:04

They're just a few publicity-seeking nutters, though, aren't they?
It's just one old, damaged man, and his idiot, brain-washed family. Honestly, there's probably fewer than 50 of them.

And yet they make headlines around the world!

On the positive side, the fact that they do, signifies that pretty much everyone finds them abhorrent.

ZZZenagain Tue 23-Apr-13 23:38:19

can any church just call iself a Baptist church or is there some umbrella organisation they all belong to? I am wondering because friends of ours are members of a Baptist church where this kind of behaviour would be completely alien

interalia Tue 23-Apr-13 23:38:55

Well, I think anyone with any connection to any real Christian knows they're a bunch of cranks. And atheists are atheists so it's not altering their view either way. I am surprised none of them have been duffed up though. I am trying to work out whether they could be prosecuted if they did that in the UK - am not sure...

interalia Tue 23-Apr-13 23:39:50

Youtube 'russell brand westboro baptists' and click on the first video. Love it...

HazeltheMcWitch Tue 23-Apr-13 23:40:28

Empress - that's genius!

And btw, what's a gay church? One mainly for homosexuals, gay clergy etc? Or is it ('just') gay friendly? What denomination?

No idea why I'm interested: I'm atheist and straight. But now I am intrigued, I've never heard of a gay church! grin

Westboro aren't a church. It's a cult filled with hate. They have nothing in common with Baptist churches in this country.

HolyFocaccia Tue 23-Apr-13 23:42:17

Vile people. I remember watching the Louis Theroux documentary about them.

Just...no words.

EmpressOfThe7OceansLovesMN Tue 23-Apr-13 23:44:11

grin

This is. Started in California by gay clergy, not exclusively gay but mostly & with people from a wide range of denominations.

Loved Rentaghost, by the way.

Apparently word got out about their plans and hundreds of people turned up to block them. They couldn't even get out of their van! That's van - singular! So thankfully not many of them. Sick idiots.

EmpressOfThe7OceansLovesMN Tue 23-Apr-13 23:48:35

Good.

HazeltheMcWitch Tue 23-Apr-13 23:55:18

Thanks, Empress.
Everyday's a learning day on MN!

EmpressOfThe7OceansLovesMN Tue 23-Apr-13 23:57:09

grin That's why we're better than Google!

HazeltheMcWitch Tue 23-Apr-13 23:58:13

grin

Sunnywithshowers Wed 24-Apr-13 00:08:06

I think they're utterly sincere. And hateful. I'm an atheist and I don't associate them with Christians I know. (However some share their distaste for gay people sad)

I once heard that, at a Westboro 'church' demo, a huge truck broke down directly in front of the church members. It took ages to find a part, so it was there for the duration of the demo. hmmgrin

American "Baptist" Churches are very different from the Uk Baptist churches. and these people are just a load of bigots using the name of baptist for their uses

ZZzz yes, UK Baptist have to be affiliated to the Baptist Association.

interalia Wed 24-Apr-13 00:25:51

I think they must be very dense indeed.

It's commonly accepted in C of E that Leviticus (with all the bit about gayness being an abomination) can be totally ignored by Christians.

Thank Goodness there aren't many of them about.

I hadn't heard of them until today and a Texan friend was ranting about them.

Wannabestepfordwife Wed 24-Apr-13 07:26:19

There's a group who go to the funerals that the wesborough baptists protest at and they fear 12ft angel wings to block them from the grieving families sight.

The really agressive female leader had a child out of wedlock so by her own teachings she's going to hell

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now