Gay parents the new norm?

(190 Posts)
yummymummy345 Tue 19-Feb-13 21:04:52

Is it just me? but I do not entirely relish the idea of same sex couples being parents and thus becoming the norm. Watching Channel 4 news, they are highlighting books aimed at children with same sex couples instead of the traditional man/woman combo. I'm really not trying to offend anyone but I think men and women are generally different and so offer different things to a child, can 2 women or 2 men offer the same? I know 2 women/men would love that child just as much but is it all about love and security and thats it?

Gay marriage in the news also is looking to change our culture to make it the norm although I dont understand why civl partnership which affords the same rights? is not enough? A church marriage is for 2 people to procreate (if possible) so why does this all need to be changed?

I am interested on peoples opinions these are obviously just mine but would like to add I am not religious or homophobic .

tribpot Sat 23-Feb-13 15:14:10

You mean this whole thing about 'women in comfortable shoes' isn't true either?! shock

(I am a woman in comfortable shoes - out and proud).

BIWI Sat 23-Feb-13 16:52:58

I always wear comfortable shoes. grin

Amphitrite Sat 23-Feb-13 17:21:54

I always wear comfortable shoes. Is that how DD caught the gay? If only I had worn stillettos in her formative years she might have ended up 'normal' like the OP.

tribpot Sat 23-Feb-13 18:07:30

Yes - if we all wore uncomfortable shoes it is a scientific fact there would be no gay people requiring their human rights to be respected.

motherinferior Sat 23-Feb-13 18:13:13

I wear comfortable shoes AND comfortable pants.

BIWI Sat 23-Feb-13 18:15:21

You are uber gay, motherinferior!

tribpot Sat 23-Feb-13 18:15:25

I think this probably makes you responsible for the bisexuals, motherinferior.

I'm off to tell DH that I wear comfortable shoes. He wears comfortable shoes too. I think that might mean we are in a lesbian relationship. Do I need to have my hair cut short to match my comfortable shoes?

yummymummy345 Sat 23-Feb-13 19:27:10

probably makes you old? ooops perhaps I am now ageist too... OOh what else can I say that you will assume my thoughts from.....

You have forgotten glasses surely - dead giveaway.

I wear comfortable shoes and elasticated pants. I thought it was only sensible and being middle-aged. Now I find I must be gay. Poor DH, he'll be very disappointed when I tell him we must get divorced immediately. sad

FellatioNels0n Sun 24-Feb-13 15:53:53

I don't think they are likely to become 'the norm' exactly, do you?

Although there are plenty of supposedly 'normal' male/female parent combos I'd frankly quite like to see exterminated and replaced with decent, functional, non-abusive, loving gay couples.

Writehand Tue 26-Feb-13 19:47:49

Yep. Here's yet another post saying you're not a yummy mummy. You're a bigot. And "Are gay parents the new norm?" Well not while we heteros make up most of the population you moron silly woman.

As many have pointed out, gay adopters, like all adopters, are more likely to be loving and committed parents than so many loosely attached couples whose babies come from a drunken shag.

American research shows that the kids of lesbian parents do best in terms of well being and achievement. Of course, they're not intrinsically better because they're lesbian -- it's because they've usually had to put no little work and effort into becoming parents, so (on average) they take more care of the kids they have and have planned their family life in a way some heteros would do well to copy.

Smudging Tue 26-Feb-13 20:06:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

castellburt Wed 06-Mar-13 01:55:19

But you are being homophobic! The civil partnership is not equality with marriage - property inheritance is not covered for a start. When people say or write that they are afraid of gay marriages becoming the norm, it seems to show that heterosexual marriages are so insecure they are threatened by gay marriages! I think there will be much more security in the world when people who are different are allows to live their lives peacefully, contributing their special gifts to society.

anonacfr Wed 06-Mar-13 19:05:07

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now