Philpott Case

(63 Posts)
SameDifference Wed 13-Feb-13 18:12:34

Listening to the Philpott case on the news. What a crazy life. Poor kids. And poor women.

hackmum Fri 15-Feb-13 09:55:16

AnAirOfHope: "The abuse allagations could be a defences ploy."

Only if the wife and husband have different defence lawyers. If they share the same lawyer, then it wouldn't make any sense for the defence to be telling people that Mick Philpott abused his wife.

ChazDingle Fri 15-Feb-13 14:40:13

on derby evening telegraph site where i've been following the story it listed all their barristers and they all have different, so presumably different lawyers too

Auntmaud Fri 15-Feb-13 15:22:21

I dunno, I get very uncomfortable with the assumption that a woman is always victim to a man if she does vile things, that it's because she is under his control.

Maybe Mrs Philpott is as calculating, as nasty and as thoroughly repulsive an individual as her husband allegedly is?
Why is that not a possibility? Why must women be excused and patronised by always assuming she is weak and controlled and vulnerable? Why can't she simply be a piece of evil shit like he is?

JakeBullet Fri 15-Feb-13 15:36:10

Oh I would not discount that at all AuntMaud, a woman can do bad thibgs no matter what the circumstances. ....just consider Rose West. Lots of information out there which alleges SHE was the abusive one in the marriage altnough they both did horrendous things.

Evidence does suggest though that for people who have grown up in abusive backgrounds the risks of following suit are higher than in those who have a "normal" background. Loads of information now lookibg at brain development in children and later outcomes.

I think in this case he sounds an abusive and controlling man but that doesn't mean his wife can just say "he abused me" if she knew and willingly took part in this.

JakeBullet Fri 15-Feb-13 15:40:11

I wonder if they will eventually all start blaming one another....all those different defence teams are bound to be just looking out for their client.

I have no doubt they will Jake, I dont believe we`ll ever know who instigated the fire that night, or whether they came up with the idea together.

edam Sat 16-Feb-13 09:00:49

Of course women can be bad of their own accord. But the girlfriend who escaped with her kids testifies that Philpott was abusive and the prosecution case is he set the fire to beat her in a custody battle, which is certainly the action of a bullying, controlling, angry man.

I think if you look at the stats, it's far more common for a woman to act under the control of an abusive man that for a woman who is in a relationship with a man to be the prime mover. Not saying it doesn't happen, just that it's not the most frequent situation.

AnAirOfHope Sat 16-Feb-13 14:57:03

If someone wanted to set fire to my home with my kids in it I would tell the police and get help not stand by and do nothing.

Auntmaud Sat 16-Feb-13 18:59:32

Or worse, co operate.

Auntmaud Sat 16-Feb-13 19:00:21

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Auntmaud Sat 16-Feb-13 19:01:09

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

BinarySolo Sat 16-Feb-13 19:20:57

Don't forget, AuntMaud this was a plan to get custody of the other kids. Special kind of stupid.

Auntmaud Sat 16-Feb-13 19:41:03

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now