Pope to resign!

(170 Posts)
Mandy2003 Mon 11-Feb-13 11:04:39

Didn't know this was allowed - thought they saw themselves as "chosen" by a higher power and it was a job for life confused

But no reason has been given yet following the simple announcement from the Vatican.

ToomuchWaternotWine Mon 11-Feb-13 15:23:17

Actually I wouldn't bother with the joke thread it's gone all Professionally Offended.

seeker Mon 11-Feb-13 15:25:20

It's gone all we're a persecuted minority, how very dare you. Ignore it. Back to Twitter everyone.

cerealqueen Mon 11-Feb-13 15:26:05

He's just knackered, don't blame him.

Varya Mon 11-Feb-13 15:46:03

At 85 it is likely his health is somewhat compromised.

DadOnIce Mon 11-Feb-13 15:47:23

My joke's been deleted! [fume]

Lockedout434 Mon 11-Feb-13 15:48:50

Yeah right out of humility

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vatileaks_scandal#section_3

As a catholic (sort of) who loves linking
Conspire with the rest of us who watch with amazement at what's goes on.

Smellslikecatspee Mon 11-Feb-13 15:55:00

Dear DADONICE, please please pm me your joke?

I'm collecting them, I'll say decades of the rosary for your sole grin

yes the other thread has gone all P.O.

Good. ANd I hope the whole corrupt stinking misogynistic mob of crooks and nonces goes down with him.

NayFindus Mon 11-Feb-13 17:07:34

It would be really poor taste to post a priest, a conman and a paedophile walk into a bar.

He orders a drink....

So I won't. Doh! shock

InTroubleWithDPIfHeFindsOut Mon 11-Feb-13 18:05:10

biscuit

armagh Mon 11-Feb-13 18:08:13

Can't believe so many Mumsnetters are so interested in this topic. I never warmed to him- in the Hitler Youth when young, has continued the mad anti contraception policy in the Catholic church....popular , fair minded priests who speak out are reprimanded. He was one of the senior church men when the child sex abuse scandals emerged and the response was to move the perpretators on (to abuse other children elsewhere). I presume the next pope will be an elderly traditionalist too. Plus ca change!

moonstorm Mon 11-Feb-13 18:55:10

Hey! Can someone PM me the jokes, please??? grin

amothersplaceisinthewrong Mon 11-Feb-13 19:03:39

I am betting Benny Boy will pass away within a month or so after resigning...

And I am hoping we get a handsome liberal 40 something as the next Pope. who will allow contraception, married priests and women priests.

(The church teaches that we should not lose hope!!)

KenDoddsDadsDog Mon 11-Feb-13 19:13:27

I'm hoping Hugh Jackman becomes Pope.
But seriously, have been very disappointed with Pope Benedict, feels like things have gone backwards and he hasn't responded at all well to the scandals.

Highlander Mon 11-Feb-13 19:24:37

Holy Cow, Georgeous George is a dead ringer for Daniel Craig [
grin]

stickingattwo Mon 11-Feb-13 20:00:58

More time for him to spend with the wife and kids?

stickingattwo Mon 11-Feb-13 20:02:27

Maybe he dressed up in a SS uniform at the Xmas party & the Daily Wail has the pics?

montage Mon 11-Feb-13 20:02:57

If he said a pope could, and maybe should, resign if he was too frail, and he saw firsthand what it was like when the previous pope was so frail, then it makes sense. On the Irish news it was reported that he wants to resign before he is too frail to do so (which might be what happened with John Paul II).

stickingattwo Mon 11-Feb-13 20:03:01

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

OliviaMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 11-Feb-13 20:04:59

Ahem

stickingattwo Mon 11-Feb-13 20:08:19

oh come on THAT was funny! A pope who called gay people an "immoral evil", opposed the advancement of women in the church, opposed the use of condoms to prevent the spread of HIV, offended Jews, Muslims AND other christian faiths with various speeches - I won't be missing him... not that the next one is likely to be more liberal...

alcibiades Mon 11-Feb-13 20:10:19

I'm wondering why the Vatican is saying they expect to have a new Pope before Easter. I thought the election process was supposed to be divinely inspired, rather than voting for the best guy as in political elections, and therefore there's no pre-determined date for the decision, so the process could go on for weeks. But maybe TPTB already know how that divine inspiration is going to pan out.

I'm also wondering what would happen if Peter Turkson is selected. That would mean that two powerful roles would be in the hands of men of African heritage. That would no doubt upset the white supremacists, who probably would see it as a sign of the end times.

The next step would be a woman occupying both those roles and I'm not sure how long it will take for that to happen and which one will happen first - after all, there's no likelihood of a shortage of people wanting to enter politics in the United States.

Kindling Mon 11-Feb-13 20:11:15

What Solid said. The Catholic Church is rotten at the core.

A brave and intelligent man, Chislemum? I rarely post but this has got me absolutely spitting.

How brave and intelligent was it when as Archbishop, Ratzinger sent a priest accused of child sex abuse for 'therapy', for him then to be returned to 'pastoral work'.

How brave was it when as head of the Congregation of the Doctrine of the Faith, he ordered the cover-up of child sex abuse allegations? Who made it an excommunicable offence for clergy to refer charges of rape of children to outside authorities?

A special kind of revulsion should be reserved for this vile, vile man.

Snazzynewyear Mon 11-Feb-13 20:11:32

Can someone link to a pic of this 'Gorgeous George', please? Sorry if I've missed it.

I read earlier that apparently Rowan Williams knew of this before Christmas but he has evidently kept it very quiet. It seems to have taken everyone by surprise.

ubik Mon 11-Feb-13 20:25:11

perhaps God changed his mind

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now