I 'm just so devastated having seen, without warning, pictures of a dying child being carried into A & E by her abuser.

(56 Posts)
potatofactory Fri 25-Jan-13 21:17:48

I had no idea of the full story at all until I had read the story. I'm horrified obviously by the story - but by the Daily Mail (I know - I was looking at it) I won't be looking at the site again. Why? Four different views...

That poor poor child - but I'm just so appalled by the paper. They are using the shot as the headline picture - you don't have to click on the story to see it.

NickNacks Fri 25-Jan-13 21:19:34

You've done the same thing though...

Used a shocking title to get people to read it.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

potatofactory Fri 25-Jan-13 21:25:08

There was no title before the picture was there. But - you know - thanks.

potatofactory Fri 25-Jan-13 21:27:26

Obviously I wish I hadn't posted. Yes - sorry if you feel all pedantic about the word I chose.

SolomanDaisy Fri 25-Jan-13 21:31:23

Do you have a new born? It's normal to feel a bit irrational, hormonal and hypersensitive.

Wow. Heartless fuckers on this thread. Op I know how you feel, I can't bear it when i see things like that. Just keep away from rags like the DM in future to avoid!

potatofactory Fri 25-Jan-13 21:39:29

Yes. Probably easily-floored. I'll keep it to myself next time x

I have seen it. It is just there on the dm website so you can't miss it.

potatofactory Fri 25-Jan-13 21:47:44

I was not looking for upsetting or grim stories - just idly looking whilst feeding my baby.

McPhee Fri 25-Jan-13 21:50:15

I saw it too

Sadly the press have no idea about inappropriateness sad

SolomanDaisy Fri 25-Jan-13 22:29:43

I guessed straight away that you had a new born. I could basically only watch the vicar of dibley and read the chalet school. It will pass.

I don't have a new born but I think I felt similar to the OP.

I looked at the photos before reading what they were depicting. Obviously what we're feeling comes no where close to what that child went through or what the family are now going through but those sensitive images should not be on the homepage.

TheNebulousBoojum Fri 25-Jan-13 22:44:08

'I was not looking for upsetting or grim stories - just idly looking whilst feeding my baby.'

On the DM website? You lack judgement, there are other sites to look at when you are bored. The story is horrific, but of course it would be sensationalised by certain papers. That's what they are famous for. hmm

Offs knew I shouldn't have read that, poor baby

potatofactory Fri 25-Jan-13 22:51:06

Yes - got it. Still surprised by harshness. I won't be looking again / hadn't much before. No room for everyone not being as up-to speed as everyone else I guess

ClaimedByMe Fri 25-Jan-13 22:53:21

The same picture is on sky news website too and probably on others, I chose not to read the story as I knew it would be upsetting and I don't have a newborn

herladyship Fri 25-Jan-13 22:54:32

I don't know the story but I'm a wimp sensitive when it comes to news stories & my dc are 18 & 12! So I empathise thanks

ouryve Fri 25-Jan-13 22:57:02

Not looked. Sounds like an awful story and very upsetting for anyone feeling a bit hormonal or sensitive.

Not looked, but I agree that pictures are unnecessary. Most people would be quite upset enough just finding out, or even having confirmed, that it happens, without visual "evidence". DM like to go for the OMG market, though.

Chrestomanci Fri 25-Jan-13 23:01:40

The picture upset me too OP <hugs> I have a fairly new baby as well and I can't read the DM at all at the moment because they are always publishing very upsetting stories on the front page (other news websites I look at don't seem to as much). I'm trying to look at this as a good thing as I hope it will cure my sidebar-of-shame habit...

Reassured that people say that the sensitivity passes a little as I worry about how I'll cope when I go back to work?!

HyvaPaiva Fri 25-Jan-13 23:02:21

I just don't get threads like this, I don't understand why you feel the need to start a thread like this. Obviously the devastation is the abuse and death of a child. You are 'devastated' not simply by the facts of the child's murder but specifically because you 'saw pictures without warning'? hmm

TheNebulousBoojum Fri 25-Jan-13 23:08:20

She had warning, it was the DM.
That's like reading Nuts magazine and being shocked by the sexism....without warning.

potatofactory Fri 25-Jan-13 23:09:15

You're right - but was shocked and upset by use of images too - have not seen such before & was unaware that a & e CCTV was just there on homepages.

potatofactory Fri 25-Jan-13 23:12:39

I won't be looking again so warning heeded now.

Why does the OP get a pasting for being shocked and upset by something that is in fact shocking and upsetting hmm. It's not like she's upset over Bog Brother or who got nominated for an Oscar. Give her a break.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now