Stanbridge Earls School tries to exclude girl after allegations of rape.

(112 Posts)
Narked Mon 21-Jan-13 22:38:31

Here.

It describes itself as 'a small, independent, day and boarding school for girls and boys aged 10 to 19 with Specific Learning Difficulties including Dyslexia, Dyspraxia and Dyscalculia.'

The tribunal said it had cause for "grave concerns" about safeguarding at the school.

The First-tier Tribunal Special Educational Needs and Disability found the school failed to protect a vulnerable disabled pupil who was a victim of grooming and sexual abuse by male pupils at the school.

The tribunal said head teacher Peter Trythall's conduct "borders on contempt for statutory duties".

Badgers5 Thu 23-May-13 13:21:04

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Ilovemyself Sat 01-Jun-13 09:51:01

There are not enough schools/places for children with special needs so I would have thought closing the school would be crazy.

Why not simply replace all the staff.............

EmmelineGoulden Mon 03-Jun-13 00:13:21

Ilove It's a private school. The governors are responsible for deciding how the school should be run. Replacing all the staff is an option they have (subject to employment law). But if they fail to make enough progress towards satisfying the inspectorate, the only power the government have to safeguard children is to close the place. The government can't force particular operational changes on a private business.

Lizzzar Fri 07-Jun-13 17:59:04

Stanbridge Earls is private, so most cannot attend unless they pay fees, there may be a few pupils having their fees paid by local authorities after tribunal. I have heard that it is very hard to get fees paid through tribunal though so it is probably only a minority. It is difficult to know what for sure happened here, but I do know that many of the pupils at Stanbridge Earls are already vulnerable through severe dyslexia and sometimes other difficulties. I think there needs to be a full investigation and probably staff dismissals. If the school refuses it should be shut - there are other schools for dyslexics. It damages them all to have one behaving like this.

Lizzzar Fri 07-Jun-13 18:04:26

Stanbridge Earls is private, so most cannot attend unless they pay fees. There may be a few pupils having their fees paid by local authorities after tribunal. I have heard that it is very hard to get fees paid through tribunal though so it is probably only a minority. It is difficult to know what for sure happened here, but I do know that many of the pupils at Stanbridge Earls are already vulnerable through severe dyslexia and sometimes other difficulties. I think there needs to be a full investigation and probably staff dismissals. If the school refuses it should be shut - there are other schools for dyslexics. It damages them all to have one behaving like this.

grossomodo Sat 20-Jul-13 13:49:06

I agree with Lizzar. But times have moved on, reform is happening for the school which now is to close so it is announced. The school says that it is now in financial difficulties as numbers have dropped significantly so they are pinning their hopes on a takeover. Seems so odd that if the school could not survive why did some parents imagine that it could- I think they were hoping on hope for some sort of miracle when really the school needed reform. I think that it is far better to let a new team run it well than for it to limp along in trouble with the old lot

WyvernVictim Thu 09-Jan-14 03:31:03

I have something to say.
I wanted to say I am a Wyvern Victim of Stanbridge Earls School. The threats and victimisation didn't leave themselves behind in the 1970's but actually to our stunned belief here, reanimated themselves through the current Wyvern Secretary.
I was tied up in the back of a removals truck behind the Physics Masters house by the hands and feet.

I was held against the desk my face being mashed into the wood sop hard the agony almost made me pass out but I couldn't scream because he had my neck tightly gripped in his hands and he was between the other boys and me so they couldn't see what he was doing.
When he did this to another boy outside the classroom that boy literally kicked backwards in panic and smashed the Geology Masters privates making him double up on the floor outside the door for most of the lesson.

The list goes on. Aside form the homosexual bullying and torturing and gang spite teams.

My stay at Stanbridge Earls was a misery and I wish Id found this thread earlier.

Pupils were expelled for as I can remember, stealing wine from a local farmers store, stealing explosives form a scrap yard near Romsey, making mock time bombs in the photo lab but sadly that friend of mine is no longer alive because Stanbridge refused to acknowledge the severity of THAT situation and now a life has gone as a result.

So, anyone who is angry at the Stanbridge issue current, you have my sympathy but you are blessed with not knowing what three years was like there in the seventies.

I'm currently in the process of creating a site called WyvernVictims because when I ran the WyvernSociety.com website I was inundated with heartbreaking letters form pupils of both sexes all ages pleading NOT to allow anyone to register their names, email addresses or addresses at all.

Some pleaded with me to take down the photos that had been posted of them by others though I did not see why, I did none the less of course, but the photos were snyde spite games by the Wyvern Members.

The information I gained manning that forum back in 1995 onwards was horrific. You have no idea.

I am still up in the ranks of internet technologies but I have never seen anything like the terrible letters I got from pupils who used to go to Stanbridge Earls School. I thought I had a bad time. But its not a stroke to those who stay silent because of the shame of it all.

So all those who defend the place you carry on doing that if it makes you feel good.

But in our eyes we simply see the real picture and in such a tight community as that its impossible not to know the real story.

I wish the place sunk into the ground and vanished. But sadly some rich team have rebuilt it form the inside out so it will always be a tombstone to the ruined childhoods of people like myself and others who were too young to escape and had to "Do as they were told."

If you're one of those Victims who wrote to me recently, don't worry, anonymity is the name of the game. But I think someone ought to post the real inside story for people to read on a properly coordinated website.
Sometimes the "Forgive and forget" drivel is like putting a bandaid on a bullet hole. It just doesn't work.

grossomodo Thu 09-Jan-14 10:46:20

My heart goes out to WyvernVictim above and we must all sit up and listen to allegations of long term abuse in any context to learn more of the detailed facts.
Injustice must be exposed and any victim anywhere must never suffer in silence. We all have a duty of care to help those in need in whatever way we can. I hope WyvernVictim can continue to have the brave courage to tell his/her story in the pursuit of justice for any wrong doing that might have occurred. I for one wholeheartedly applaud such bravery of sharing such difficult detail. I agree with you someone should post the real story

WyvernVictim Fri 10-Jan-14 02:19:16

www.WyvernSocietyVictims.co.uk

Here it is then. I made one of these in 1995. Sad that this is the inverse but never the less, a cure for what we learned back then.
There may be room for it now.
If it even saves one Schoolchild from suffering, the effort was worth it.

www.wyvernsocietyvictims.co.uk/

Imreadyforyou Sat 11-Jan-14 21:17:27

Thinking of you all; this sorry state of affairs and school seem to be affecting more & more people all the time.

CaptChaos Sun 12-Jan-14 13:22:49

I do hope that you and others are able to get the help you need Wyvern

The more I have read about this, and the more apologists for the disgusting behaviour of teachers and pupils alike make me more and more glad we got that 'feeling' and didn't send DS there.

Thomas1066 Fri 09-May-14 22:09:26

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now