Exposure, newsnight etc discussion part 2

(996 Posts)
MrsjREwing Fri 09-Nov-12 19:05:59

Last thread full.

Steve has released a statement responding to Lord McAlpines statement.

Darkesteyes Fri 09-Nov-12 21:05:38

Mr Crumpswife i think the questions that seem to have stopped being asked might start to be asked again soon.
I saw a tweet from Mark Williams Thomas that said the second Exposure prog about Savile is going out on Weds 21st November.

MrsjREwing Fri 09-Nov-12 21:06:16

Lord McAlpine should sue the police officers who told Steve he was the man who abused him.

Pagwatch Fri 09-Nov-12 21:10:35

If I were lord MacAlpine I would be after a few on twitter.
And Philip Schofield.

Pagwatch Fri 09-Nov-12 21:12:05

VivaLeBeaver
Newsnight coudn't defend that. They had filmed bits naming him.

Darkesteyes Fri 09-Nov-12 21:15:51

I didnt agree with the way it was done by Scofield. It was done in a very sensationalist way. It is NOT salacious celebrity gossip. They are very serious heinous crimes.
A month ago Schofield was questioning the victims asking them "Why come forward now"
I dont think This Morning is the right programme to be discussing this subject.
I think Ch 4 news coverage has been exemplary very professional and done in a sensitive way.

Chubfuddler Fri 09-Nov-12 21:16:17

What on earth was Phillip schofield playing at, bandying some piece of paper about like that?

I think an awful lot of people were very eager to see a Tory conspiracy in all this. There's still no evidence of one. Tom Watson used parliamentary privilege in a quite shocking way. Highly irresponsible.

Darkesteyes Fri 09-Nov-12 21:22:16

I dont think its wanting to see a Tory conspiracy at all.
I think its people are fed up seeing people higher up in society seeming to get away with more law breaking and wrongdoing than those lower down the socio economic scale.
eg no punishments for tax evasion and home flipping but now will fine you 50 pounds if you fill a benefits form in wrongly whether intentionally or not.
As for media witch hunts.... they dont seem to mind when its the disabled/unemployed or single parents on the wrong end of the witch hunts.

i don't think anyone on these threads has thought, or said, it's a 'tory' conspiracy. there are people in all parties implicated.

it is a matter of power and the abuse of it rather than what colour ribbon you package it with.

CFSKate Fri 09-Nov-12 21:32:31

link

"A local councillor who was also a victim of abuse at Bryn Estyn told The Guardian that he believed a different member of the McAlpine family may have been mistaken for Lord McAlpine.

Several sources have suggested that Mr Messham may have been referring to Jimmie McAlpine, who chaired the building firm Alfred McAlpine Ltd, and who lived in Chester, near Wrexham.

The Waterhouse inquiry into the abuse allegations recorded that, according to Mr Messham’s statement to the police, “X (the letter used to hide the identity of the McAlpine family member) had several different motor cars and would wait for him at the bottom of Bryn Estyn Lane.”

Jimmie McAlpine, who is now dead, had one of the largest private collections of cars in Britain."

MrsjREwing Fri 09-Nov-12 21:35:56

I don't think there was tory bashing at all either, it was in my case concerns about those in powerfull positions abusing power, people, collusions, conspiracy and incompetancy.

Darkesteyes Fri 09-Nov-12 21:45:37

it is a matter of power and the abuse of it rather than what colour ribbon you package it with

YES THIS!

Chubfuddler Fri 09-Nov-12 21:48:09

Yes I agree.

Tom Watson abused his power when he used parliamentary privilege to make unfounded allegations.

claig Fri 09-Nov-12 21:52:05

Why were Tom Watson's allegations unfounded?

poachedeggs Fri 09-Nov-12 22:04:23

I think it suits a lot of people to package this as an attempt to smear the Tories.

MooncupGoddess Fri 09-Nov-12 22:48:39

Newsnight is currently apologising its arse off and running long quotes of people slagging Newsnight off. It's extraordinary. How could they have got it so wrong, so soon after the original Savile mess-up?

AnyaKnowIt Fri 09-Nov-12 22:53:15

I can't believe what I'm seeing. Could this be the end of newsnight?

Ladyjaxo Fri 09-Nov-12 22:54:26

Wow , watching newsnight and something seems iffy as if all this is trying to distract away from the fact there was a paedophile ring, tom Watson was right, the media is pushing back, why is no one talking about Sians documents from last nights ch4 news. No name was broadcast by newsnight last week and the speculation has existed for years...What has happened to investigative journalism.

MooncupGoddess Fri 09-Nov-12 22:56:15

It's all appalling tbh. Everyone should just back off and leave it to the police. I really feel for all the abuse victims caught up in this.

FiercePanda Fri 09-Nov-12 22:57:43

Eddie Mair deserves a stiff drink, his "no-one from the BBC was available to comment...*long, dramatic pause*" was as sublime as it was ridiculous.

Ladyjaxo Fri 09-Nov-12 22:58:26

I think its newsnight arse covering sounds like lawyer speak and people protecting their own jobs. Much like the police who did the original investigations. Looks like they are trying to set it up as it was all internet rumours and discredit the allegations.

claig Fri 09-Nov-12 22:59:10

Toby Young was on Sky News Paper Report several weeks ago and said that he thought the Newsnight Savile affair might be the end of Newsnight.

The focus is off the destroyed photos and other aspects of the scandal and is on Newsnight.

izzywizzyisbizzy Fri 09-Nov-12 23:03:00

I just caught the last few minutes of newsnight and all I can say is GO ESTHER.

The system we have at the moment fails victims on all fronts.

Viviennemary Fri 09-Nov-12 23:05:08

This is certainly very strange indeed. Am I right to think that somebody has misled this man re the identity of his attacker in an attempt to 'muddy the waters'. I think some VIP's are being protected by deliberate misinformation.

FiercePanda Fri 09-Nov-12 23:06:01

"GO ESTHER"? When the ITV Savile Exposure was shown, she was saying she'd been told about Savile years ago and said nothing. "GO ESTHER" is the last thing I'd be saying right now.

MooncupGoddess Fri 09-Nov-12 23:07:23

Wonder who the acting editor of Newsnight is... suspect they will be ditched (or allowed to 'step aside') pdq and yet another acting editor appointed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now