Quality standards for Home Ed

(6 Posts)
MummyHomeEd Sun 18-May-14 09:28:27

I have been invited by the LA to complete a questionaire about the service offered by the Home Ed team. I am happy to complete it as I have had a positive experience in my dealings with them and feel this may be an opportunity to improve things further.

One part asks

Can you think of 3 quality standards that could be measured / evaluated in this area?

I have my own ideas on this but would be really interested to hear what others would put.

Thanks

Saracen Sun 18-May-14 12:34:37

That would depend on what service the LA is claiming to offer, and to whom! Have they said?

Different LAs seem to have varying agendas for their home ed teams...

It isn't possible to set standards to assess the quality of a service without knowing what they are trying to achieve.

ommmward Sun 18-May-14 18:37:45

1. "ability to follow the 2007 Elective Home Education Guidelines for Local Authorities"

2. "ability to follow Home Educators' stated preferences about modes of contact and forms of evidence provided about education followed, within the legal Guidelines"

3. "LA staffers' level of knowledge and sympathy for different styles of informal education"

morethanpotatoprints Mon 19-May-14 21:25:16

The same as ommmward the guru. grin

MummyHomeEd Tue 20-May-14 18:43:36

Thank you

Ommmward. - how could those be evaluated/measured?

ommmward Tue 20-May-14 20:23:30

Erm... feedback from known home educators? Training provided by experienced home educators of varying styles. Paid, natch smile

There are very well established networks of HEers, and it's really common for someone who is newly in contact with an LA to ask people "what's Trudi at Barchester LA like? Should I have a visit from her or keepall contact in writing?" and plenty of people are willing to advise about whether Trudi should be welcomed into the home or not touched with a barge pole...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now